Bipolar Cats

newkittymom06

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone
I know this isn't the right forum but can someone please help.
I've been noticing lately that oscar has a problem. One minute he will be loving on you and the next he is attacking the crap out of you. He really likes to grab your whole arm and just starts bitting and scartching you. Then he will stop after one minute after telling him NO. He will be in the kitchen, he'll meow like he is hurt and when you come to see he attacks your ankles. And now he is jumping up and attacking your legs. Then a couple minutes later he will be sweet again. And the cycles keeps going. He is NOT declawed or neutred. He is 15 weeks and a day.If anyone can offer me some advice or something. Sometimes I think that Oscar hates me.

Ashley

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Does he have enough toys to play with? Oscar behaves like my youngest rescue - Go who is just about Oscar's age. Go has boundless energy. He pounces on the other kittens, and hardly stays still when I cuddle or carry him. The fact that Go is also teething makes it more difficult to control his biting. The other kittens help in keeping Go occupied but I still supplement him with interactive toys. The trees outside and a scratching post keep those claws trimmed.
Oscar is being a normal, hyperactive kitten like my Go.

*lulu*

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Both my kittens are like that.

One minute they cuddle up to you and want you to stroke them and the next minute they try to kill you
lol
They have plenty of toys to play with but it just depends on if your there at the time

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dear Oscar and Oscar's Mom!

Well, our Baby Suha was the same when she came in and joined our family, and she still is, to some degree, even at age "terrible two"! I call her Suha the Terrible and The Bitemouth Kitten, for obvious reasons.

No, Oscar does NOT hate you. I'm certain of that. But if he was rescued, who knows what nightmares he's had to live through! And if he's feral or semi-feral, he knows instinctively not to trust humans -- for good reason. Patience, love, and firm "no!"'s accompanied by maybe a squirt from a squirt bottle filled with water when he bites or scratches will, in time, mellow him out some; but hopefully your love is unconditional and no matter what, you're committed to your "bipolar cat"~! He sure is a cutie all right -- and THANK YOU for not declawing. Declawing is NOT a kind thing to do to a cat; it's like removing a person's fingers up to the first joint, and can result in pain for life, infection, fatalities on occasion, and at best, removes a cat's natural defenses. Good scratching posts and corrugated cardboard laced with catnip scratching pads are THE answer. Cats need their claws, and they need to scratch. But let's hope that as time goes on, Oscar will learn that he doesn't have to defend himself against you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

newkittymom06

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
what types are good for 3 month old? We have a string that he loves. I bought him a stuffed mouse and he won't even play with that. He also has 5 rolly balls that make noise that he loves. And he has a cheap scrather. And he has his own racetrack around the house. It starts on one couch then runs to his water cup on a table, then he runs to the back of another couch then he runs for dear life to the bathroom and then back.
Its so cute.
He probably doesn't have enough toys.
When Oscar attacks me should I spray him with the spray bottle? Where actually is the "Scruff". I just want him to stop attacking me and just Chill Out.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dear Oscar:

Ask your mom to ask at her local Petco, PetsMart, or other "pet" supply store about which toys and scratchers they recommend for a kitten your age. Any of them should be fine, as long as they toys don't have small parts that are insecurely fastened and could fall off and be swallowed. Simple toys are the best and usually, we cats like 'em best, anyway!
They don't have to be fancy at all. The rolly balls with noisemakers inside are GREAT; the scratchers are fine, and no matter what kind you get, you'll ask your mom to replace them when they are worn out, right? String is okay as long as your mom plays with you with it, and doesn't ever leave it lying around! 'cause you could swallow it or get tangled in it. It's more interesting, too, if she puts it away and only gets it out at "those special times" for just the TWO of you!

And YOU know where your scruff is!!! It's the back of your neck, of course!
But we hope your Mom doesn't "scruff" you; some humans do this, but it's no good if they don't know how, and can hurt you!
Just a squirt with the water bottle and a firm, "No!" should do the trick; and if it doesn't, a good play session right before bed or relaxing time for your mom should calm YOU down enough so that she isn't nervewracked!
But she will always have to remember, we hope, that kitten energy is NORMAL and that kittens are wonderful! and that, with time, you will undoubtedly mellow out and calm down...whattya say, big guy? Eh???

iamluckysmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
he is being a kitty. It is his way of playing. They go through that weird stage. They all do at some point. Give him something to play with that he can attack and stalk and prey upon. Lucky went through that. all my cats have. Just the catness of the beast....

trinettec

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I understand your frustration. But he is just being normal. Try finding a type of toy he can chase like a cyber mouse.

This thread really caught my eye because we call my husbands kitty, Annie, bi-polar. She was a really loving kitten until we got her spayed then she turned bipolar. I think she just does this to me because she remebers who took her to the vet!!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dear trinettec:

That's so bizarro!
Usually cats' purrsonalities mellow out post-spay, not the other way around!
You may have a point there.
Let's hope she doesn't have a long memory.