Bengal Or No Bengal?

Travisl01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thinking about adopting this cat. Owners stated that she is a purebred Bengal and they are giving her up because she loves to spend time outdoors and they can not accommodate that due to time restrictions for walks and their area being to dangerous for her to go out alone. When I asked for a picture of the cat's pattern the lady got defensive but quickly apologized and said she has had several people wanting to adopt Eeviee simply because she was a pure bred Bengal. This makes sense in a way to me but also seems shady. I'm interested in the cat regardless of if she is a Bengal or not but I hate being decieved by people so I would like to know if she is actually a bengal.

Attachments

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can't really be sure if the kitty is purebred bengal from the pictures, as there's not a great one on its body/pattern. But I would say that she's at least half full bengal by her face structure and eyes- but without papers you can never be sure. There's nothing wrong with her and she's beautiful, but don't spend a whole ton of money on a cat without papers in hand, you're just getting scammed. Even if she doesn't sell her with the papers for rehoming purposes, if she's really purebred she should be able to show you her documentation from either TICA or CFA.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agree. The body pattern seems to be much uninpressive. But face bengalian is. So mix or low pet quality - bengals are sold for their fabulous pattern.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with the other posters. The face and body shape are like a Bengal's but the pattern is off. She might have a Bengal parent, that bred with a Domestic Shorthair, which caused the well-known Bengal pattern to become more mottled and confused.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Travisl01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Asked about paperwork. The owner claims she has paperwork on the cat and said she will look for it. But stated she isn't sure where she put it as she didn't plan on getting rid of the cat. We shall see if she actually produces anything or not.

Travisl01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I also finally got a better picture of the coat

Attachments

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would be suspicious, why doesn't she send you a picture showing the whole cat, not from above but from one side?
So far, the pattern can perfectly be the one of any good looking domestic shorthair tabby cat. I see a lot of vertical lines and no propper rossettes, just spots... And her face shape, if I can trust the shadow on the first picture, is not as flat as it should. Abyeb pointed a good theory, I would agree that she might be a bengal X, but she could as easily be a lovely domestic shorthair with no Bengal blood at all. Her color is convincing, but I have seen a good amount of DS with that color in their faces and legs.
I would base my decision just on your feelings towards the cat once you get to meet her. If you fall in love, do not hesitate.

Travisl01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay, she finally sent a picture of the pattern. Here it is

Attachments

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, as I said, those are vertical lines, and quite a big amount of them. So, for my, she is a beautiful DS tabby Cat. Very nice pattern for a non bengal, not so good for a purebreed because those stripes are undesirable. I am not familiar with toygers, but she could be a better look alike for them. I don't know, maybe she has a Bengal grandad.
I just wonder how the owner managed to cut parts of the body every single time, it looks as if it is made on purpose. I was expecting to ser her profile clearly in this one!

Travisl01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't think I'm going to adopt her not so much because she isn't a Bengal but because the owner is so decietful and I'm honestly nervous to meet them after all these shinanigans.

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't think I'm going to adopt her not so much because she isn't a Bengal but because the owner is so decietful and I'm honestly nervous to meet them after all these shinanigans.
That is very sad, but I underestand it, It is necessary to be able to trust her previous owners, in case there are any health problems which require information about her past.
If you are interested on adopting a Bengal, I know that in the USA there is a group devoted to find forever homes for bengals who need a family fue to diverse circumstances. You could take that under consideration if buying one is not something you feel comfortable with. I think the group is called SOS bengals or something like that.
Otherwise, just adopt any lovely Cat you fall in love with at your local shelter.

Polyymn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!
I am planning on adopting a kitten soon and the breeder told me that her cat is 3/4 Bengal and her male is 1/4 Bengal (rest tabby). She seems like an extremely trustworthy person, I have been asking a lot of questions and everything but and the mother and father do look like part Bengals but I'm not very experienced so I would love a second opinion! The breeder also doesn't plan on having any more kittens, this is their first and only litter because she just wanted to have her cat know what it is like to feel like a mother before neutering her! (She is also asking for a resonable price for them with shots, vet checks, and deworming) View media item 419470View media item 419469View media item 419468View media item 419467View media item 419466View media item 419465View media item 419464View media item 419463
The mom is on the right side in the first image and the father is on the left