Bad Lot of Merrick's Backcountry Chicken Pouches???

intrepidation

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been feeding my dear boy Merrick's wet and dry food since Day 1, as that was what he was being fed at the shelter, and it seems fairly highly rated. I considered swapping after finding pieces of plastic in two different cans, but switched over to the gravy pouches instead, and have not had any issues until my latest box from Chewy.

The food in the pouch did not smell off, but did look off, smaller than usual chunks of chicken, and some pieces looked almost crumbly. I stirred it around, didn't smell anything weird, and like a bad cat mom, against my better judgement, I fed it to my cat and went to work. I came home to cat vomit, which is highly unusual. I have not fed him anymore of the pouches, especially as I opened a handful more and they all look the same.

My new box from Chewy came in today, and the contents of the pouches look and smell normal. I have attached comparison photos. The bowl with the teal rim is the new box, with the normal looking food. The smaller white bowl has the food from the other crate, which looks off.

I have emailed both Chewy and Merrick and am waiting to hear back. I submitted a form to Dave at Petful as well, to see if anyone else has experienced a bad lot. The bad pouches all had an expiry date of Aug 2022.

All I want in life is to keep my sweet boy, safe, healthy, and happy; I feel so bad that I bought and fed him something that gave him a stomachache. I am so glad that other than the one time vomit, he seems fine.

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It does look different from the other, maybe it overheated during delivery? I received a box of Purrfectly Chicken in the pouch from Target and when it was delivered there was a horrible odor and one (or more) pouches had exploded all over the box. The smell was awful, and that was two-day delivery! (but it took 4, because of the weekend) I think it may have been the heat, it was in the 80's. I have no idea what caused it and had no other problems with past orders, I called Target and they sent out a new box that arrived fine that same day! But in my case it was definitely bad.....