At-home euthanasia... your experiences?

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't use candles.
I don't think that the candle needs to be in the same place. It doesn't even need to be in the same room.

In our house, we have specific places for candles that are away from anything that can cause danger. They are up on shelves with metal trays underneath. We also have a small side table for incense. We don't burn things all the time.

Mainly, we keep candles in case the electricity goes out... which occasionally happens around here. We only burn incense if one of the cats (I'm talking to you, Elliot! ;) ) drops a stink bomb in the litter box.

I don't assign any special religious meaning to the burning of candles or incense. That's up to the individual to decide. I don't have any problem with people who do. To me, it's more about the symbolism of a flame going out than any religious or spiritual meaning.

The vet asked me if I wanted to light a candle for Tag, and I did. I let it burn until exactly midnight and then blew it out. It's on the table next to the chair he liked so much, and hasn't been lit since. It's always a personal thing, but this type of thing does help me.
Yeah! Like that! :yeah:

As to knowing when... Let the cat tell you.

Several years ago, there used to be a TV show on the channel "Animal Planet" with a vet, Kevin Fitzgerald. During one of the episodes, he talked about euthanasia and how to know when it's time. I tried to find a copy of that video but it's probably not available on-line.

Anyhow, Fitzgerald said to watch for the basics that we all know about: Whether your pet still eats, sleeps and goes to the bathroom normally. Does he show signs of pain or sickness? Can she move and walk around without crying, whimpering or showing signs of pain. Those are obvious. The thing that impressed me, though, was when he asked the question, "Is it still your dog or cat?"

Will they play like they used to? Do they chase the toy mouse when you toss it? (Or, at least show interest.) Can you still pet them and they take comfort? Does the cat still seem to recognize their favorite humans?

I liked that idea and that's what I often advise. Ask yourself the question, "Is he still your cat?"
If not, then it's time.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think that the candle needs to be in the same place. It doesn't even need to be in the same room.

In our house, we have specific places for candles that are away from anything that can cause danger. They are up on shelves with metal trays underneath. We also have a small side table for incense. We don't burn things all the time.

Mainly, we keep candles in case the electricity goes out... which occasionally happens around here. We only burn incense if one of the cats (I'm talking to you, Elliot! ;) ) drops a stink bomb in the litter box.

I don't assign any special religious meaning to the burning of candles or incense. That's up to the individual to decide. I don't have any problem with people who do. To me, it's more about the symbolism of a flame going out than any religious or spiritual meaning.

Yeah! Like that! :yeah:

As to knowing when... Let the cat tell you.

Several years ago, there used to be a TV show on the channel "Animal Planet" with a vet, Kevin Fitzgerald. During one of the episodes, he talked about euthanasia and how to know when it's time. I tried to find a copy of that video but it's probably not available on-line.

Anyhow, Fitzgerald said to watch for the basics that we all know about: Whether your pet still eats, sleeps and goes to the bathroom normally. Does he show signs of pain or sickness? Can she move and walk around without crying, whimpering or showing signs of pain. Those are obvious. The thing that impressed me, though, was when he asked the question, "Is it still your dog or cat?"

Will they play like they used to? Do they chase the toy mouse when you toss it? (Or, at least show interest.) Can you still pet them and they take comfort? Does the cat still seem to recognize their favorite humans?

I liked that idea and that's what I often advise. Ask yourself the question, "Is he still your cat?"
If not, then it's time.
Kabuto is definatly still Kabuto. His body though just seems to be wearing out. His mind is defenatly there and I still see a shine in his eyes. Its like his body is just wearing out. Its so hard to see his bony body unable to do what he wants it to do.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've mentioned this in my other thread, but for everyone's information, this specific resource was recommended to me by my vet, who has a cat-specialty practice.
Ah sorry! I haven't taken the time to look at your other thread as I'm not in the space for that and I don't have experience with cancer in cats. I wouldn't expect to be much support.

eevans3373

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you did it this way, are you glad that you did?
Without doubt.
Was your cat more comfortable being at home, or was it still just as stressful, given that a stranger is coming into your home and sticking them with needles?
Much more comfortable. No scary car ride. No waiting at the vet. He got to pass on one of his favorite napping spots. Not at the scary vet. And I didn't have to face driving home alone without my kitty friend.
Was it a lot more expensive than doing it at your local vet?
This is not a service I would price shop for. I didn't attach a monetary value to my cat passing comfortably and with a minimum of distress.
Did the at-home euthasia instill any kind of bad memory that you associate with your home, after the fact? I was told that this can be an issue with some people.
Bad memories with my home? No.

The euthanization process wasn't one of the most fun things I've ever experienced but it was quick. He struggled a bit before the first shot and panicked but once administered it took him out quickly. He was effectively dead with that first shot. He wasn't conscious and would never be again, so the second shot didn't even register. I remember was the vet putting her stethoscope on his chest and saying he was gone. And then she asked if I wanted time alone with him? Which i thought was weird. Why would I want to spend time with his dead little kitty corpse? Sammie wasn't' there anymore.

If you had it done at home, and had a "good" experience (I guess I mean, you are glad you had it done at home vs. otherwise), how did you find the service that does it? My local vet used to offer this, but after she sold the practice to a new owner, they no longer offer it. So I'd be looking for a service from scratch.
Google search.

Last edited by a moderator:

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
So far, my decision for Kabuto is natural death. I will only take him in if he is in obvious destress. Vets don't do in home euthanasia in my area anyways. Too far into the urban-rural fringe I think.

He actualy seems to have a will to live at this point despite not eating or pooping anymore. Increadably he can still jump with ease. They say you will know if it is time but at this point I feel he wants to pass at home on his own. Such a resiliant boy up until the end he is. I have told him he can go in peace when he is ready. He has friends waiting in Heaven for him.

Last edited by a moderator:

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't read all the responses here yet, but I think this a good discussion to have, for people to air what they think and see others' feelings to not feel alone, to express, in a community. No one answer is right for all.
I had a home euthanasia for my Gracie in January 2023 and it was a peaceful experience for her and me. She was at the point that longer life would be suffering and very hard on her, CKD, arthritis and hyperthyroidism- after 18 months of treatment.
I looked online for home euthanasia services and chose one, an emergency mobile vet associated with a pet cemetary. The vet was so very comforting. It was painless, a sedative first then when I was ready the final dose. She was in her heated bed on my lap, so I was the last thing she knew. The first sedation shot was quick, under her skin, she didn't even know it happened. No need to find a vein, the dying shot was into her liver. The vet sat outside in her car after the shots for our alone time.

I don't know exactly how it compares in cost to the vet's office, I think it was some less. Not sure what my vet charges now.

I had had another cat and two dogs who had the end at the vet's office. The dogs loved going to the vet so they were comfortable there at the end. The cat, Fred, was nervous at the vet's office, but that was in the 1990's and I didn't know about home euthanasia.

I was a nurse that worked in hospitals, nursing homes, home care and saw a lot of end of life patients, with many attempts at resuscitation that were the patients' and families wishes, and those who chose hospice consciously. My own mother died of Alzheimer's on hospice. So that informs my views.

I'm of the feeling that we have the power to humanely end suffering in a life that will not get better and it's okay to use it. I have had to think and go back and forth on whether it was time, and that has been hard most of the times it's happened. "Is it now? Is it too soon? Am I killing someone too early? Did I wait too long?" Some guilt has always been a part of it. It can be tough and all those thoughts and feelings are natural and we should let them come, I think, even though painful. Then we can be able to find comfort with others or come to some comfort within ourselves.

My cat Waffles will be so hard when the time comes. He's scared of everyone new, I can't pick him up, though he is a total lover with people he knows and trusts (on his terms.) I dread that day. I don't know what I will do, let him go naturally and maybe suffer too much or be terrified with at home euthanasia. Likely sedative that I give orally before will be the answer outside of him going naturally with sedation.

I really feel this is so personal and we guardians have to make what decision is best for us and our fur family. All the feelings can be tough, but it is a loving decision to go to euthanasia. Natural deaths also give time for lots of love to the end, and that just as tough.

I am very glad there is the option of home euthanasia, and I will do it in the future.