Arthritis Flare Help?

scarlett71177

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
16 1/2 year old kitty experiencing a pretty tough arthritis flare up. He has significant arthritis in his left hip and right hock. It makes him a little wobbly when trying to get upright sometimes. He gets his monthly Solensia shot, takes Cosequin supplements, and can get up to two doses of Gabapentin when having pain. He's eating and pottying normally. But he's spending more time resting and not exactly hiding- but in solitude.

Are there other medications I should know about? Things that work for your cats during flares? Willing to do anything to help my boy out.

Thanks in advance.

moonlitwoods

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat, also 16+, also suffers from arthritis. Also on monthly Solensia. However, she does not have "flares" per se, it's more of a chronic state that doesn't get worse or better.

She is not treated additionally for pain. We tried gabapentin before the availability of Solensia, but it didn't do much to relieve pain and left her a disoriented zombie. I was grateful when she went off it. She was not herself.

The best help I can give my girl is the Solensia, a heated bed, steps up to locations she frequents, and I help her up and/or carry her whenever I feel she's struggling especially.

She has a nose/throat allergy that must occasionally be treated with prednisolone. Her arthritis seems a little less noticeable when she's taking the corticosteroid. Maybe that would be an option?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
To the original poster, Dasuquin is a stronger version of Cosequin, but I would discuss with your Vet using it with Solensia. I have no idea at all whether using it in tandem would be helpful, but possibly. And as stated above, heat is always helpful. I have also heard of people getting acupuncture for their arthritic cats.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Is your cat otherwise healthy? Recent bloodwork to look for other things that might impact mobility/stability?

Aside from that, there are members on this site who are using both Solensia and Adequan. Although, from what I recall, most started with Adequan and then added Solensia later, looking for an additional boost. Adequan, unlike Solensia, contains a joint supplement so that is something that you would need to discuss with your vet about the combination of Cosequin and Adequan.

There comes a point in time that giving your cat steps - also mentioned above - to use rather than letting him jump up/down from various places is helpful as it can reduce the amount of aggravation.to his joints. My cat readily adapted to the steps once presented to her. They are not the cat stairs that you can buy - these are solid makeshift boxes/footstools that enable her to stop on each step before moving on if she needs to.

You could also talk to your vet about buprenorphine as a pain med vs. gabapentin. All of these meds would have to be evaluated by the vet to see if there is a conflict in using one or more of them together.

Lastly, if you are willing - as mentioned above - acupuncture is another option. I was surprised to read about how willing many cats are to receive it due to how it can make them feel better. But, that does require you taking your cat to a place to receive the treatments. The frequency varies on response.

Last edited: