Are they really ragdolls??

luckylisa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I purchased a ragdolll from a breeder, older couple, retirees. I had been looking without intending on a quick purchase , as everyone seemed to have waiting lists, which was purfect as I wasn't quite ready. Spoke to this woman, we clicked during the call, but didn't have an available litter t the time. A week later, she called me and said a women who put a deposit on one of the kittens, couldn't pay the remainder and this little boy was available. I went to look at him, she brought him and his sister out, who was clearly a bit larger, and my poor little guy had a squinty eye, that she attributed to allergies. My former cat, an orange tabby did get a little squinty eyed in spring and fall when the windows where open, I live in florida, so that isn't often, I asked if he was the runt, and she said no. I'm very intuitive, however, that must go right out the window when I see people who are "seemingly" animal lovers.Brought him to vet right away, had upper respiratory infection, and was constantly sick, diarrhea, I'm a nervous mommy so, many trips to vet, thinking he may have FIP, needless to say, I spent tons of money, I would call her for advise, she bs'ed me, oh they get diarrhea, blah, blah. Anyways, she knew I wanted two, but couldn't really afford Zakk at the time. Gave me a call and said she had one kitten born that the vet said was failure to thrive but she had fed him w/eye dropper and wanted me to have him. Think she felt guilty, that she probably knowingly sold me a sick cat. First, I looked everywhere, can't find any complaints and or reviews about her, and I'm not even sure they are real. I have papers, but I was her fill the second cats out in front of me, I didn't even care for the papers, not breeding the,. My question, how can I find info on her, and Zakk the $700 one, who now has cost about $6000 in medical bills, yes, I almost lost my home to save him, is a blue mitted mink lynx, Tupac is I think just blue mitted no lynx, but their eyes are turned green?? Aren't they supposed to be blue? I love them to death, but I don't like people who are dishonest and con artists, so I'm just curious. Trying to attach photos

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, photos will help. I'm sorry to say, but this whole situation sounds kind of sketchy. There are a lot of really dishonest "backyard breeders" out there. Uploading pics and scans of their Pedigrees will help us immensely.

PS nice choice on kitten # 2's name. I almost named Beans "Biggie Smalls" but just couldn't name a girl kitty that eventhough it fit her personality (and size) perfectly. I'm glad I went with Beans though...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luckylisa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the reply!

Yes, I trusted the old bat!!!! She was a con artist! And she charged me $700 for Zakk, so I guess I have to look at it las I got two since she gave me Tupac (thanks, yes, his names cute) oh well, I was meant to have them. I'm on an ipad, can't figure out how to upload photos. Their photos are on my profile, I will try from my laptop.

Thank you!

nbrazil

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
All Ragdolls have blue eyes, it is a characteristic of the breed. Ragamuffins, on the other hand....

artem

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey. I don't know how helpful this will be but as I have a raggie myself, I figured I'd tell you what I know

Standard pointed rag dolls do have blue eyes. Any other color is a disqualifying fault. Some breeders breed 'mink' rag dolls, however, which have aqua eyes. It's a somewhat controversial practice but as far as I know most people do consider them rag dolls. Your cats could be mink although this all sounds pretty suspicious to me. The cats in your picture definitely are not standard ragdolls, although they could be minks. If you google "blue mink ragdoll," it's feasible. Still dishonest if true but feasible.

For comparison here is my rag doll (pet quality) at somewhere between three and four months:

And between four and five months. God I hope he's not already getting fat. Looks like it may be time for a diet change:

But your babies are quite lovely either way and certainly lucky to have you !

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

luckylisa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! Yours is adorable, I love the blue eyes! They are minks, and their eyes turned aqua. She definitely over charged, but I love them either way. :) I just also hope she is not over breeding, from the looks of the room in her home, I am suspicious that she is. Zakk's health issues also lead me to believe so. I don't want anyone else to go through what I did, many people wouldn't be able to afford the vet bills. Is there any services that check out suspicious breeders?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
 Is there any services that check out suspicious breeders?
You can surely contact the authorities of the association the breeder does belong too.  Good associaltions dont like to be connected with careless BYBs.

If the conditions in place are really bad, you can surely contact your local authorities.  Like Animal [police], or the citys Animal control.  Phone and ank their suggestion, at last.  In the first consulting phoning, you dont need to say whom it is, and probably not even whom you  are.

The first consultation may thus be anonymous, as far as I understand.

First in second stage, when you get assurance they will look seriously at the problem, you ough to reveal you name.

I thinkk, Im no expert on american conditions.

Good luck!

Last edited:

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you in the US? If so and your paperwork is legitimate, it should be on the standard form. Snap a picture of it with your phone and upload the picture if you don't have a scanner. Obviously cover up the area with your name and address.