Anyone seen this before?

fostersrule

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
have a 3 week old kitten with an interesting coat and I was wondering if anyone knows what he'll end up looking like as an adult. He was born black and white. The black was very solid. Recently it began looking different. The black seemed a bit lighter and his tail looked almost like it was losing hair. After further inspection I realized his undercoat is white under the black. The black is really thinning out. Has anyone seen this before? Will the black spots end So solid or peppery?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fostersrule

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I realize it looks like it may have to do with the lighting but I promise it looks like that. When I part the black hairs it is white underneath. I'm sure you probably noticed the size difference in the kittens. Chase was tiny when I got him. He's a healthy boy now:) still smaller than his sister but he's always been a fighter.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that's called smoke.  You could post on Describing cats - what does my cat look like? forum

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
SMOKE is related to SILVER.  In both cases the base coat is basically white and the hairs are tipped with black (or grey if it's a blue smoke).  Here is a good article about them although it's rather technical.  Scan down where they describe the variations and you'll see it more clearly. 

http://messybeast.com/chinchillas.htm

here is a picture of a tabby smoke kitten which may be the direction yours is going in.

Last edited:

fostersrule

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Still changing. Now where the solid black was he has black, white, black. When I blow on his fur there is a definite alternating pattern. So each hair is black, white, black.

fostersrule

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So here is the comparison. I've emailed Sarah from messybeast and she asked me to send another pic in a week. The pic on the left is a few days old. The top one is 3 weeks. Bottom is 4 weeks.

Last edited:

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Do you happen to have more pictures from both kittens mentioned in this topic? Preferred his face and more from the side+tail ^^

Also, what color are mom and dad?

fostersrule

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you happen to have more pictures from both kittens mentioned in this topic? Preferred his face and more from the side+tail ^^
Also, what color are mom and dad?
I'll try to get better pics. His mom is black and white. Absolutely no idea who the dad is and 0 way of finding out.

Last edited:

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Very remarkable ^^ Dad must have been a black silver tabby or black smoke. Both kittens seem to be smoke kittens. Very pretty <3 I hope you'll share a picture of them again when they are a little older!

fostersrule

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Chase is now 6.5 weeks old and has a white stripe down his back that goes to the tip of his tail. I did a google image search of this and found 1 cat with a similar stripe. He had been solid black then the stripe came in. The only difference is that Chase is black and white with the stripe.