Anyone Done The Luxating Patella Surgery?

Yodasmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 8 year old cat has had luxating patella/bad knee for a few years. It was always mild and she got around fine, so the vet just had us keeping an eye on it.

Yesterday and this morning, she is limping pretty bad and having some trouble getting around. I will take her to the vet tomorrow if it continues.

Has anyone done the luxating patella correction surgery? How bad is the recovery? Can she us the litter box with a cast or bandage on her hind leg?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Here’s an old thread I found about the luxating patella surgery: Cat Needs Surgery For Luxating Patella and Joint Mouse

Basically, after the surgery, your kitty will need to be on cage rest for a little while. Here’s a thread that gives some great suggestions about how to make cage rest more comfortable for cats: What Made Your "confined-to-crate-rest" Cat Relax? Offer Some Handy Tips.... Likely, your vet will prescribe some pain meds as well. Your vet might also recommend some PT-type exercises.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yodasmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I am going on vacation on May 10 and I’m very nervous about possibly having to do this surgery now. I usually have a pet sitter come twice a day while I’m gone. Yoda only went to a kennel one time, and she completely freaked out.

dcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 8 year old cat has had luxating patella/bad knee for a few years. It was always mild and she got around fine, so the vet just had us keeping an eye on it.

Yesterday and this morning, she is limping pretty bad and having some trouble getting around. I will take her to the vet tomorrow if it continues.

Has anyone done the luxating patella correction surgery? How bad is the recovery? Can she us the litter box with a cast or bandage on her hind leg?
my 9 month old kitty had double luxating patellas, couldn't walk (was fine his first 8 months too... could leap tall buildings) "Board Certified" Vet surgeons were quoting me from $2700 - $3300 per knee. I never thought to ask our new vet we started with when we adopted him months earlier... then he told us he had done this surgery over 60 times already, but only once for a cat (luxating patellas are very common in pedigree small dogs). His price was $2250 total (doing both knees at the same surgery, which we preferred to one at a time six to nine months apart). He performed the surgery and 4 years later my black and white Dexter is the acrobatt in the house. Best of luck with your kitty.