Any idea what breeds my cats are?

alihazard

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 3 cats, River 7 month female tabby who is very sleek, she's small but very long. Oni who is 5 months old black and white mid-long hair with a narrow face and high cheek bones and slanted eyes, has massive paws, very bushy tail. Last but not least Nova who is 13 weeks very stripey with ginger highlight on her forehead and belly. I want to try and figure out what breeds they are but I'm a bit stumped so please can you help me out?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alihazard

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm fairly sure the two girls are just Domestic Shorthairs, although the lady I bought Nova off said she might be part Bengal and River seems to be very long and slender for a standard Domestic Shorthair. I've had Domestics before and they've always seemed a little stockier. Oni stumps me as I've never seen a cat with such distinctive features, he has an almost Siamese look to his facial structure.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alihazard

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Anyone got any ideas?

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
   Cats are not like dogs that are usually a breed or mix of breeds.   The vast majority of them are the result of many generations of cats just breeding randomly on their own with whatever cats were in their area.  

These are some  beautiful random-bred cats!

The random-bred "domestic shorthair" & "domestic longhair" cats come in a variety of coat colors and patterns, sizes and shapes.  .... so  if a cat does have  a little of some pedigree breed mixed in its ancestry,   it's usually very hard to tell. 

You have a Brown Classic Tabby dsh .   a Black and White dlh ,  and little Nova is a Brown Mackerel Tabby .   I don't see anything strongly Bengal or Siamese looking about  Nova.    Most likely Nova is a "pure moggy"  the oldest cat pattern and goes back to their wildcat ancestors,  Felis silvestris lybica.  

Your semi-longhair  River and your classic tabby Oni may be a bit like some of the ancestors of Maine Coons.  It's hard to really see the head shape from these angles of photos.  

River is indeed very long  and it is possible that could mean some partial ancestry of a long bodied breed like a Maine Coon or a Siamese  or Oriental.  

. but at this age kittens are going through some interesting shape morphing as they grow up..  sometimes the legs and the torso take turns growing,  so for a while they look tall,  then they look long, then tall again,   then eventually they may even out.     So you will know more around 18 months.

Welcome to TCS and thanks for sharing pics of your lovely cats!