Any idea what breed this may be?

streaterc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

This cat showed up at a relatives home and we decided to adopt him. He is super sweet, but just sort of has a unique look. We've never had anything other than just random stray cats so I don't know much about different breeds.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This cat showed up at a relatives home and we decided to adopt him. He is super sweet, but just sort of has a unique look. We've never had anything other than just random stray cats so I don't know much about different breeds.
He could be a handsome broken mackerel tabby, which he is!  but he has so good looks he may be also something extra. I mean, somebodys purebred whom happened to get astray. This happens, not often but it certainly happens.   I know myself of several examples just in the Swedish-Norwegian world of Russian blue.

Did you look if he has a chip on him?  Its common purebreds has - although knowleable american forumists told me, its not a rule, and especielly pet quality purebreds are oftne not chipped..

How big is he?   Was he already neutered when he come, or was he still intact?

Im thinking on maybe Oci-cat.   Not necessarily of  Show quality, but still.   There are also several other more or less spotted breeds.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

streaterc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We think he is about 9 months old. He showed up at a relatives home about 3 months ago and still looked fairly kitten like. He is intact male. We will of course consult the vet about a more accurate age assessment. Where and how would I go about checking for a microchip? I got a better pic of his pattern today as well:)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Easiest at the vet visit.  Vets are supposed to have such a reader (they also use to put in a microchip), and they are also supposed for read out for free, no charge, if you check up just for it.

Also, most shelters have such a reader.   Possible also both police and pet shops.

I see now he cant be a oci-cat stud  (and intact because of this).   But he can still be something else...  Breeding animals dont always need to be of stunning show quality. Decent quality may be enough, if they are healthy, have good psyche AND of good lineage.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Beautiful cat! I think a domestic short hair based on one of my cats - as a young cat she was identical to this cat. I felt like I was looking at a photo of Loki! I could very well be wrong since I focus more on the long hair breeds. Here in the U.S. chips are not universal so the reader your vet uses may not read a chip if he has one.