Any guess what breed and how old my new cat is?

Lj-rooster

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just picked up this beautiful all white kitty from a friend, my guess is less than a year old. Medium coat with bushy tail, I’m thinking Turkish angora? She’s got a spot of extra long hair at the base behind the ears, kind of like wings? Anyone have any guesses. I’m curious.

Attachments

Lennybells

I’m a slave to my furry master
Adult Cat
Purraise
I looked at some pics online. She looks like a Turkish Angora. I also found some pics online of white Siberian cats that also look like her (I love Siberians. I wish everyone could enjoy the experience of having a dog that purrs). This is just an idea. She’s such a cutie!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lj-rooster

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That’s what I was thinking. If she’s a Siberian that makes sense too. I think she’s still pretty young. Thank you!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
We can speculate what breed look alike she is.
But unless you have some solid background history (your friend whom had her should know if there IS a history), we must presume she is as most other cats. A domestic, here domestic long hair DLH. However pretty and nice she is.

Congrats to getting a new, beloved friend!

Stella1973

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
your cat being something other than a domestic longhair (breedless/more of a landrace) is highly unlikely. Contrary to what most people believe cats are not like dogs. They aren’t mixes of breeds. Dogs have been purposefully bred for thousands and thousands of years. Cats on the other hand have only been bred for about 150 years with many breeds being less than 75 years old. Think of domestic cats as the wolves of cat breeds. Cat breeds came from selectively breeding domestic cats that had traits humans found interesting and bred to enhance those traits. Approximately only 4% of cats have a breed and I know people hear that and think oh well, it’s still 4% so there’s a 4% chance my cat has some type of breed in them. That’s just not the case. What most do not factor in is that the 4% is shared by over 70 breeds. So this would mean if we make all breeds equal (which they’re obviously not) for the sake of averages, this would mean that each breed is roughly .00058% of the cat population. Now of that .00058% the vast majority are altered either before leaving the cattery or shortly thereafter per their contracts or be subjected to hefty fines. Of the cats that are still intact the majority of them are owned by breeders (it’s estimated that 90% of intact pedigree cats are owned by breeders) and not the general cat owner. Now you would have to have either a very irresponsible breeder who has somehow managed to let one of their very expensive breeding cats escape (which puts their entire cattery at risk for disease and parasites let alone an oops litter) and mate with the local flavor, an irresponsible pedigree cat owner who ignored their contract and didn’t alter and either let their expensive cat roam or escape or a BYB who is intentionally mixing cats but even with that one unless someone can 100% verify the pedigrees of the breeding cats you can’t take their word that the cat is what they are claiming and they would absolutely charge a ridiculous price. There’s even more to it but we are talking about far too many out of the ordinary and rare occurrences to happen with a minuscule section of the cat population for a mix to even happen. You would actually have a greater chance of finding a purebred cat than a mix. Finding a purebred in a shelter or on the street would still be highly unlikely since breeders typically double register the cats microchip for just this very reason to keep them out of shelters and rescues. To simplify cat breeds, cat breeds are simply a refinement of traits found in domestic cats. This is why you can have a lookalike without having any breed history. Typically the most logical and simplest answer is the correct one. Your cat is simply adorable and doesn’t need to have any breed in her to be just perfect the way she is.