Antibiotics dosage after the surgery

dshakw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat was prescribed with antibiotics after emergency c section surgery. She got fixed at the same surgery also. The kittens were not alive and I was told the two stuck in the canal even slightly started to rot. Gosh how difficult to type these... well, The vet told me 5 days would be OK in thr surgery day, it is holidays here so the vet switched to assistant. Before giving the 5th shot he said let's make it 7 days, it might be better. I asked if it is a must and why they (the vet) said 5 days and got really mixed answers so I am confused. Like it is up to me? Almost every vet has good and bad reviews I tried to choose the best but, I just cant fully trust anyone at this point if you know what I mean?

Every time I took her to vet she is so anxious and crying and I am not sure if these 2 shots are worth it or not since she already got two types of antibiotics(2 shots) since surgery.

I know nobody can give proper answer to this, I am just asking what would you do? I have hard time processing pros and cons of this. I feel like my brain not working reading your answers would be a support.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. As long as she is tolerating the antibiotics in terms of eating/drinking, I would say under the circumstances I would want to continue with the antibiotics to ensure any infection is eradicated. It is just too bad that you couldn't have oral antibiotics you could give at home rather than daily injections requiring vet trips.

I don't know what antibiotic it is and I am unfamiliar with daily injectable ones. With my cat, although her antibiotics have been for UTIs, the oral ones I give her always go at least 10 days, and her last one was for 14. Still, I am sure, oral is entirely different than injectable ones. The injectable antibiotic I know of is Cerenia, but it is just one injection that lasts at least 2 weeks in a cat's system/ However, it isn't the best, as if a cat has a reaction, there is no way to counteract it.

Do you know what the antibiotic is, and why it is needed daily? What country are you in, because it sounds like you are outside the USA.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dshakw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If I am not mistaken they are cephalexin and amoxicillin, but I am not sure in what milligrams. Her papers were not with me. I will surely ask again and make them record all. I don't know why it is daily, just assumed it is the procedure after surgeries. When they saw me hesitant about coming back, they asked me if I could make her swallow pills, and I said I can try, but then they didn't give anything. So many issues at a time, like her 5th shot, some bald patches, deciding about parasites drops, etc, and I forget about reasking about these two extra days of antibiotics. Yes, I am outside of the USA. Probably, I will go, or at least I will ask if it is ok to take a day or two off before getting these shots. I just want to lower her stress levels 😔

Hi. As long as she is tolerating the antibiotics in terms of eating/drinking, I would say under the circumstances I would want to continue with the antibiotics to ensure any infection is eradicated. It is just too bad that you couldn't have oral antibiotics you could give at home rather than daily injections requiring vet trips.

I don't know what antibiotic it is and I am unfamiliar with daily injectable ones. With my cat, although her antibiotics have been for UTIs, the oral ones I give her always go at least 10 days, and her last one was for 14. Still, I am sure, oral is entirely different than injectable ones. The injectable antibiotic I know of is Cerenia, but it is just one injection that lasts at least 2 weeks in a cat's system/ However, it isn't the best, as if a cat has a reaction, there is no way to counteract it.

Do you know what the antibiotic is, and why it is needed daily? What country are you in, because it sounds like you are outside the USA.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The only problem with a break in the antibiotics is that then there is no consistency/continuity - it is the steady continuation of them that works best. Maybe just getting through 2 more days is your best bet. Why drag it out?