another question

junior67

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It has now been about 7 weeks 5 or 6 days since Angel first started her last heat.

quick recap been to vet twice and vet didn't feel anything she could say for sure was kittens but said she couldn't say 100% she wasn't preg. She gained a hair under a full pound in 2 weeks (between vet visits weighed on same scale. checked weight on my scale when i got home to see if it said the same thing. it did.). I reweighed her the other day and in 4 days she had gained around another 1/2lb.

So basically waiting for a heat cycle or labor to know for sure what is going on.........

BUT we are going camping the 23-25th (leaving the night of the 23rd and coming home the afternoon of the 25th and my husband comes home twice a day to let our dogs out, since we only camp about 1/2 hr away). But it will be 60-62 days after the day she got out (she was gone 6 days so if she is preg. it could have been anytime in that time). So should I lock her in my room (where her box is to have kittens in) with her food, water, litterbox etc........ when we are gone or just leave her out? I was going to wait for signs of labor or until she hit about 62-63 days and if I wasn't going to be home lock her in there, but not sure where we will be gone that weekend if I should leave her in there for the weekend JIC............

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by junior67

It has now been about 7 weeks 5 or 6 days since Angel first started her last heat.

quick recap been to vet twice and vet didn't feel anything she could say for sure was kittens but said she couldn't say 100% she wasn't preg. She gained a hair under a full pound in 2 weeks (between vet visits weighed on same scale. checked weight on my scale when i got home to see if it said the same thing. it did.). I reweighed her the other day and in 4 days she had gained around another 1/2lb.

So basically waiting for a heat cycle or labor to know for sure what is going on.........

BUT we are going camping the 23-25th (leaving the night of the 23rd and coming home the afternoon of the 25th and my husband comes home twice a day to let our dogs out, since we only camp about 1/2 hr away). But it will be 60-62 days after the day she got out (she was gone 6 days so if she is preg. it could have been anytime in that time). So should I lock her in my room (where her box is to have kittens in) with her food, water, litterbox etc........ when we are gone or just leave her out? I was going to wait for signs of labor or until she hit about 62-63 days and if I wasn't going to be home lock her in there, but not sure where we will be gone that weekend if I should leave her in there for the weekend JIC............
That's a tough one....I'd hate for her to go into labor while you are away...however I'd hate for her to get outside again while your husband is tending to the dogs. I'd probably stay on the safe side and keep her in your room.

Katie

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think she's pregnant.

I am stuck with a similar situation... my husband and I have a wedding to attend in St. Louis that weekend. I have pretty much decided I'm not going... I feel bad, but I would feel worse if something happened to Sneakers or her kittens!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

junior67

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Katie--- not worried about her getting out when my husband comes home (he watches to make sure she doesn't and she hasn't even been trying at all) more worried about her going into labor and having the kittens where ever and us not knowing where (or kitten). I will probably head home with him one time on Sat night to check on her. We leave around 5ish on Fri so the pets will be set then, then he gets up Sat a.m. and comes home, then we go home around 6ish Sat night again, then he goes home Sun a.m. then we leave around 2ish on Sun.

Don't think if she is preg. she would have them that early but worried if she does we won't know WHERE if we are not home and she has free roam the whole weekend.

Godiva--- I have NO clue. it is strange because alot of times at night she looks "good size" but then during the day she looks small to me again. LOL So basically going with she isn't but taking precautions incase she is....... Wish she would just go into heat if she isn't! or get BIG if she is so I am not just "waiting" for labor till July 10th (the latest she should have them since that is 70 days after her last day out)..... LOL

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I forgot to mention, I would just set her up in your room while you are away. Your husband can still check on her that way, but she won't have as many places to hide kittens if she has them, or as many chances to escape.

Good luck! Maybe we'll both be new grandmas by then.

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
canyou post pics to show her before and after? Icis now loong way preg, looking like she swallowed a grapefruit or two,lol, she waddles too, its so funny!!

Also, i agree with the others, you need to keep her in your room, just in case!!!

junior67

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Liza---- I can't find any before ones. There are some recent pix of her on the picture forum under "pictures of my crew" (think that is the name) she really isn't big at all. had a tiny bump on one side. I don't think she is preg. but can't figure out why she hasn't gone into heat in around 8 weeks (think that is what it is. she last went into heat around April 23rd or so) so maybe this weekend was 9 weeks since her last heat? not sure. LOL either way it has been a LONG time. So figure if she is it is only one kitten.......... I basically keep checking non stop to see if she is going into heat and waiting for her to start a heat cycle. If there are no kittens or heat by the beg. of July (probably around the 5th or so) I will call another place and see how much x-rays are there......... she was gone for 6 days so could have concieved anywhere in those 6 days. But it will be 65 days since she got out on the 28th (next wed).

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think if you will be away when the kittens are due, you should make arrangements to have her boarded at the vet's. That way if she has any problems, they will be able to intervene. Births are usually uncomplicated but there are still many things that can go wrong and would require immediate medical attention to save your cat's life. Better safe than sorry.

junior67

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Semiferal---- the thing is I am not even sure if she is preg......... She got out when in heat was gone for 6 days (so big window on when she would be due if she is preg). I have had her at the vets twice and the vet couldn't feel anything she was sure was kittens or A kitten but she gained a pound in 2 weeks........ She also hasn't had a heat cycle since she got out (well it started a couple days before she got out). So from all that it doesn't seem she is as she has not gotten really BIG at all. she has a little bump on one side but that is about it, her nipples changed around 3 weeks but haven't changed much since then. BUT there is always a chance (even the vet said) that she is preg. with 1 kitten......... so for now, until she has a heat cycle, I have a room set up and feeding her kitten food etc. we are only going camping Fri night through Sun afternoon and it will be 60-62 days after she got out that we will be gone. But since she was out for 6 days (she is an indoor kitty) then it could be as little as 54-56 days. But IF she does happen to go into labor i want to know where she is, which is why I asked about locking her in a room. We are also home twice on Sat and once on Sun before we come home for the day to check on the pets and let my dogs out.

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i would just keep her in your room while your gone, and check in on her.

pondwader

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'd guess she'll probably have them the first weekend of July or maybe the 3rd or 4th, so going away this coming weekend is probably fine, as long as she will have litter, fresh food and water and attention. I'd ask whoever will be home with her that she remain in the bedroom so she doesn't get out again though.
If she hasn't come into heat this long she is mostl likely pregnant but hopefully it will be a small litter. I hope all goes well

junior67

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
noone will be here with them for the weekend. we come home twice a day to check on them, feed them, and let the dogs out. other than that they are alone for the weekend. we do this all the time and have for years. From the date she got out she is due the end of June from the date she came home it is the beg. of July.......... Since she was in heat when she left I am guessing sometime the end of june or maybe the 1st of july since I don't see a tom waiting 6 days to mate with her.

She won't get out again. My 3 yr old let her out "because the kitty wanted out" we have talked to her about this and she was a mess while the cat was gone so won't be doing that again.

She keeps having me fooled into thinking she is going into heat she talk so "often" and alot, but then will lay down and sleep for HOURS with no meowing so it isn't like she is in heat. Also when I touch her back her legs go up (she has always down this) but she isn't in the crouch position with her back end up. just stands with her back legs straight. I have NO clue what is up. I keep waiting for her to start walking around crouched, spraying things, and my neutered male trying to mate with her but so far nothing......... But she has gotten more talkative and will come up to me meowing and mrrrrrrr ing (LOL) but it isn't heat and she has been doing this for about 6 days now so not like the begining of a heat cycle since that would only be about a day. UGH! I can't wait till around July 10th (70 days since she returned) since if there are kittens by then I have an answer and if no kittens by then then I go back to the vets to figure out what is up. July 4th is 65 days since she came home. so maybe if no kittens by July 3rd (if the vets are open) I will call around and see if I can find an x-ray cheaper and take her in then to see what is going on.........