Another New Shelter Cat - Could he possibly be a Birman?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shelterhelper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I'm ShelterHelper and posted here earlier about the breeds of some of the kitties living at our no-kill shelter.  Unfortunately, I'm still struggling to place our kitties in a home or another no-kill shelter.  Our Director's health is still deteriorating.  I've placed the kitties on Petfinder.com, YouTube, on several Facebook pages and RescueMe.org.  I've just finished applying to PetSmart and am contacting several large rescue and no-kill shelters.  (Our local no-kill shelters are packed full.)  The Siamese rescue groups said they could not accept any more cats. 

So what is everyone's opinion?  The poor little fellow (he appears to be less than a year old) has had a tough life and deserves a good home (like all our kitties).

I'd appreciate any kind thoughts or prayers for all our kitties.  Thank you, everyone.

Sue  

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He seems to be shorthaired?  How is his tail?  In unclear cases the tail is revealing them; bushy = longhaired after all...

There is also a variation in Ragdolls with socks. Not so common, but could explain the fur somewhat shorter than with a typical long fur Birman.

Another possibility is Snowshoe.  They are based from Siameses back in the 60-ties, and thus at the time, it were the old type siamese, not our days quite extreme siamese...

And they are shorthaired of course.

Take your pick.  You do have my blessing to say look alike, or even "probably".

Good luck!

melesine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
His markings are a cute colorpoint with white. But his markings, coat, head and body structure are not consistent with a ragdoll. Mitted ragdolls have white chin, chest, belly and white backlegs, not just mitts on the back like he does. Mitted ragdolls have the same coat type and coat length as all other ragdolls. They don't have shorter fur. He looks like colorpoint shorthair with white.  

Here are pictures of my mitted ragdoll ( she is a tortie point) for comparison

Last edited:

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He could be a snowshoe or a birman or a mitted rag doll. His coat may not be full because he was outside and lacking nutrition. If he was found at a campground he could easily be a purebred who was lost.

Here is a picture of my lynx point birman 
Here is a picture of my seal point ragdoll who looks a lot like your guy and our Birman breeder said he looked more like a Birman than a Ragdoll.
Here is a link to different Birman rescues in the United States (http://birman.rescueshelter.com) and you could also contact floppy cats so they could put his picture up on their site (http://blog.floppycats.com/blog/ragdoll-rehoming) and Ragdoll rescue usa (http://www.freewebs.com/ragdollrescueusa/). 

yingying

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Franksmom, I'm afraid I cannot agree with all of what you said.

Herbie is for sure a shorthair cat. It's nothing to do with  lacking nutrition or coat not full. Look at the hair in the ears. That's the most obvious part for a shorthair cat. Aside from the hair length, the head shape is also wrong (not wide and round enough), the ears too big, chin too strong, and the eyes are of completely wrong shape of a Birman. I couldn't tell from the photos whether he has laces (the V patterns on the back of feet), but I doubt so. I own a Birman myself and have met quite a bit of Birman cats and breeders. As cute as Herbie is, I'm afraid he doesn't have a single drop of Birman blood in him.

And he is not a Snowshoe either. Snowshoes are mitted and bicolor. Herbie is a regular pointed cat, not bicolor pointed. Also Snowshoe is a very rare breed. The chance of finding a Snowshoe, even a mix, on the street is next to zero.

Frankly, Herbie doesn't show any strong evidence of a certain breed. I think he is just a domestic shorthair mix. But if you have to put a breed lable on him (for easier adoption), then I think the closest is a Siamese (traditional type) mix.

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The point of my post was to try to save this cat, and if helps to say the cat may be part Birman than I think Shelterhelper should do that! The picture is not the best and I do know for a fact that coats can be effected by health which I have been told by both ragdoll and birman breeders. Of course this cat is not show quality but it could be a mix of a pet quality birman, ragdoll or snowshoe from a BYB. Breed rescues will often take look-a-likes and because the siamese rescue can not take him a birman or ragdoll rescue might be able to. I also have a birman and know birman breeders, so I do know that that cat has some resemblance to a birman and a birman rescue may take him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shelterhelper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, everyone.  Thank you for all your replies and concern for little Herbie.  I guess what his breed is doesn't matter now.  Today Herbie went to the Rainbow Bridge.  

Herbie still had diahhrea but appeared to be getting better.  Today our Humane Society Director took him to our vet to be checked out.  It turns out he was feline leukemia/AIDS positive.  With our shelter trying desperately to place healthy cats, we just couldn't take on a kitty who is sick.  That's probably why someone dumped him.  They were too cheap and/or too cowardly to do the right thing and have him put down in a kind, humane manner.  

At least Herbie had a few days of good food, shelter and attention.  He was so affectionate and wanted love so much.  I wish we could have helped him, gotten to know him better and gotten him the loving home he deserved. 

Please say a prayer or think a few kind thoughts for little Herbie...    

Sue

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry about the poor little Herbie .   That is so sad. I am glad at least he had some days of getting to eat and be safe and experience some kind attention.  Thanks for showing him some love and trying to help him.  he looks like a sweet boy.    Maybe he has met up with some of my kitties from Siamese Rescue  at the Bridge. 

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so sorry you lost Herbie. When you feel up to it, you might consider posting a tribute to him at our Crossing the Bridge Forum. I am going to lock this thread now

Status
Not open for further replies.