another introduction issue...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chichi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Awwww! they are so cute! I love the orange one. I've had an orange tabby like that.

lovemycodygirl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Chichi

Good news!

I was able to successfully trim Chichi's claws during her afternoon nap today. And she was her good ole snuggly self again and let me do it.
Oh boy, that cat has two faces: when she's mean, she is MEAN, but when she's sweet, she's a real SWEATY! Lil miss Jekyl and Hyde.

Hmmm, it must be something about the gray and white kitties! Mine big girl is a handful...but can be very pleasant when she wants something.

And I am supposed to be going to pick out a new kitten tonight! After reading what you guys have been going through, I am second guessing myself!!!! I really don't want to piss Cody off and make her hate me. But I think she would not be as lonely with a little brother. UGH, what to do?!??!

kathy14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am so glad this post is here... I definitely feel less alone and neurotic, as catbikini mentioned. I'm so stressed over cat introductions that I can barely sleep... my eyes are red sagging every day at work... coworkers must think I'm out partying all night!

Tigger is my 3 year-old tabby who I think has multiple personalities but we love her to death! Callie is the new kitten, about 4 months old now and she's been with us for 4 weeks.

We did a one-week separation period. For a few days they couldn't even see each other but we exchanged their blankets and towels each day, and then after that they were separated by a glass door so they could see but not touch. Tigger was jealous right away, and broke my heart when she started hissing and growling when I went near her. For over a week she wouldn't let me pet her, she couldn't be bribed with treats, she wouldn't sleep on the bed with me, etc.

They are still separated at night and when we are not at home because I don't trust them together. When we are home they have what we call 'supervised playtime', and Callie is let out of her room. They take turns stalking each other around the house. Callie chases Tigger's tail, then Tigger swats at her and chases her until Callie's ears go down and she crawls into a small space where Tigger can't follow. Then she comes out and chases Tigger again. This is all fine... but it bothers me when Tigger is chasing Callie, tramples her, pins her down and starts chewing or biting her. I've never introduced two cats before so I don't know if this is normal! Some people tell me to let them do their thing, while others suggest I break it up when they get like this - I don't know! Sometimes Callie doesn't seem to care and will get up and chase Tigger, while other times I've heard a little yelp and I break it up. Is Tigger playing, or trying to hurt her?!

When they get too riled up I call a time out and put Callie back in her room for awhile. She pants a lot when she's worked up and I get worried about her little heart (FYI - she has a slight heart murmur, which I'm stressed about in general even though the vet says it's very minor)

So basically my mornings and evenings are full time supervision of the cats, which has me stressed and exhausted. I can't even eat a meal without having to jump up get Tigger off Callie! My husband would rather just lock Callie up while we're eating, watching tv, etc, but she's already locked in her room for 7 hours during the day and again for 7 hours at night.

Sorry for such a long post. It relieves some of the stress to share with other people who are going through similar things. Thanks for listening.

Cheers, Kathy

blue_monday_88

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Chichi

Hi,

Not doing so well...
I am so mad at Chichi right now, I tried to put vanilla extract on her, she hissed at me, I tried to restrain her, by holding her by the scarf. She hates it so much, she wouldn't let me do anything! And she doesn't respond to treats, she doesn't care for food. I was able to handle any of my cats in the past...But not her!
<snip>
Chichi, Has "Chichi" the cat responded to food/treats at all? That's what I was most concerned about with Cassie. I am still in the embryonic stage of intros -- about 2 weeks now they have been socializing day in, day out -- and yet, Cassie who was a BIG eater before, it takes a lot to get her to her food bowl. She eats, and even jumps off her perch (she is the "surveyor" LOL) to be bribed for treats. But she is not happy with Napoleon. It doesn't help that he wants to play 24-7 and she wants to chill!!! Even this morning, she was laying at my boyfriend's feet in bed, and he was chilling, not even harassing her (which he's good for), and she started to growl a little. I guess he was too close for comfort. The thing with Napoleon is that he doesn't care -- he's not afraid of anything! Cassie is a bit shy and let's you know when No means NO!

I gave Cassie a little bit of food this morning, sprinkled with catnip, which she LOVES. The issue is that Napoleon eats all his food then tries to tackle Cassie's. So he HATES catnip (only to play with, not to eat) she loves it. I was in the other room and heard her chomping away at her catnip-laced food, which was great for me.

Forget children, I am raising two cats! Enough for me!!! LOL

blue_monday_88

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kathy14

I am so glad this post is here... I definitely feel less alone and neurotic, as catbikini mentioned. I'm so stressed over cat introductions that I can barely sleep... my eyes are red sagging every day at work... coworkers must think I'm out partying all night!

<snip> Sorry for such a long post. It relieves some of the stress to share with other people who are going through similar things. Thanks for listening.

Cheers, Kathy
Kathy, You are certainly not alone. In fact, I think my colleagues at work think I am bit crazy right now. I have not slept well in almost two weeks, and all I talk about is the psych of my two cats!!! I swear, it's like raising children!!! If you feel the need to vent, feel free to PM me. I need some new cat mums to support me!!!! :-)

Rgds,
Taryn

salem cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sahara is just full of herself ! She runs around with a sideways gait and her tail straight up in the air and her ears back, chasing everyone around while they spin and hiss at her. She doesnt care though, she just flies right past them like it was her intention all along..
Sometimes she can be the loving little pest, and then she turns into super brat and I cant even touch her.
She must have been starved before she came here, or maybe got a few scaps to eat, because she has soft and dry food out for her 24/7, but if she smells food or sees me eating, (and it doesnt matter what it is, last night she was eating tomatos before I noticed her) she's all over me, and the counters
But's that a different issue, and I'm sure I'll be asking for hepl with that later

home.slice

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Gremlin is STILL constantly nipping at the kitten. He isn't hissing at her, but the kitten is hissing back. Is it normal playing for a cat to nip sans hissing?