Another cat here with crystals & a confused me...

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ask the vet about the different RXs and Yes Eukanuba makes an Rx line .... I beleive all the major brands make one ... The only true premium is Royal Canin who has an Rx line

mybabies

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
he only true premium is Royal Canin who has an Rx line

That is what I am going to buy, after Chruch AND a water fountain! Thank you so mcuh for your help! I am a basket case of fear!

knoballz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat, Steve, is on the prescription S/D diet and is supposed to switch to the C/D diet after a month. I am confused about the whole prescription food idea and apparently I can get it from Petsmart... but I don't know what procedure to follow. My husband and i looked at their food selection the last time we went, but did not see it. Do we have to bring his prescription every time we go to buy food for the rest of his life? I am sure that I will lose it... I would lose my head if it wasn't attached to my body, much less a small piece of paper.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know, but probably
. My vet could order it cheaper than I could get it at Petsmart. Come to think of it, I bought Canine CD from other vets without a prescription in hand. I would price shop a little if you have that option, and just call Petsmart if no one else knows either, they can tell you.
If you have a card, maybe once you're in the system, maybe that will be all you have to do?

It also may only be the Petsmart with the Banfield Vet Hospital in them who carry the prescription diet. Ours does have the vet and food is in the back near it.

I would check out the prices on the other RX foods, though. My dog and my cats look better and my dog has finally filled out muscle wise from being on a better quality food
. And I think it balances out in the end- I think they (the cats) are eating less food on the Felidae. My 56+lb Boxer is eating the same as my 38 lb Cardigan Corgi did, and is shiner and as I mentioned, finally filling out. Her stools are better too.

mybabies

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by knoballz

My cat, Steve, is on the prescription S/D diet and is supposed to switch to the C/D diet after a month. I am confused about the whole prescription food idea and apparently I can get it from Petsmart... but I don't know what procedure to follow. My husband and i looked at their food selection the last time we went, but did not see it. Do we have to bring his prescription every time we go to buy food for the rest of his life? I am sure that I will lose it... I would lose my head if it wasn't attached to my body, much less a small piece of paper.
To get ANY RX diet at Petsmart's Banfield you EITHER have to have your cat be one of their patients OR have your Vet fax a prescription for the food you need to them. I just had to have MY vet do that as he did not have it.

knoballz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
we didn't see our regular vet when poor steve got his prescription diet, we had to take him to the pet hospital because our vet was too full to see him. i am not sure if our regular vet carries the food since I have never had to think about the food selection that they had there.

mybabies

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by knoballz

we didn't see our regular vet when poor steve got his prescription diet, we had to take him to the pet hospital because our vet was too full to see him. i am not sure if our regular vet carries the food since I have never had to think about the food selection that they had there.
Call different Vets around the city/town you live in. SOME will allow you to just go and buy the prescription diet without a call or fax from a Vet. If you cannot find one who will get whatever vet saw your cat for the crystals, to call or fax a prescription to Petsmart's Banfield or what ever vet carries it.

bamababe1234

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I called around and a vet just wanted a consult over the phone. She wanted to make sure the cat needed the special diet.

I found an alternative tot he Science hill prescription diet that my vet wanted Simon to eat. He hated it at first but now he loves it. Anyway maybe someone else can use this information. It is made by Eukanuba it is called Eukanuba Veterinary diets low pH/s/Feline. It is supposed to have passed all kinds of taste test. It comes in wet or dry.