Animated Avatar

bobkater

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As a test, I’ve tried an animated Avatar GIF 300x300px, 71.6kB, and the animation didn’t seem to work, it just showed the first frame as static.

Are animations not acceptable as avatar/signatures?

More generally, what are the full specs of avatars and signatures?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
We're checking on this. On a personal level, I find animations create problems with easy readying. I usually stop them (which is another issue with using them here) or move on.

I'm not sure what other specs you would like regarding avatars. As for signatures, we'll get back to you, but generally we ask that people be sensible about size etc.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bobkater

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the feedback so far.

By specs, I mean max dimensions and file size (and type). It is easy to specify these, e,g. in the Rules, and better than leaving it up to people to be reasonable.
Possibly also recommended parameters for above, e.g. square avatars of at least 400x400 (this latter recommendation already exists).

As for animations, I understand your point about flashy images, which can indeed be disturbing. These can be specified as avoidable.
But if someone, for example, has 3 cats and shows them in turn at distances of over 5 seconds, that shouldn't disturb.

What I had in mind in my case, was to show some small stars twinkling in the background over the holiday period. I can provide example, if asked, but my question was more general.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My two cents as a member - I would find any animated avatars distracting and irritating. If it was a matter of changing settings, I would much prefer the default to be not showing them, rather than making people for whom they would be an issue (especially if people suffer from migraines or eye problems) having to search for a way to turn them off.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I know people who are epileptic including myself (slightly epileptic) and animations drive them nuts. Same with people prone to migrains. Even the little smilys i find iritating honestly. I would not like animated avatars because there is no way to hide them without using extensions such as ublock or ghostery and individualy blocking each one.

The signatures are ok since they can be turned off in settings and don't show on mobile devices anyway unless you flip sideways. But avatars can't be turnned off.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I would find any animated avatars distracting and irritating. If it was a matter of changing settings, I would much prefer the default to be not showing them, rather than making people for whom they would be an issue (especially if people suffer from migraines or eye problems) having to search for a way to turn them off.
:yeah: I completely agree! In addition, having taught Special Education for many years this is extremely annoying, exasperating and difficult for some people with Autism.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I get what you are trying to do, but maybe instead 'capture' an avatar pic with the stars stationary? Or, add a video with each of your posts??? That can easily be 'stopped' by anyone not wishing to view it.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But if someone, for example, has 3 cats and shows them in turn at distances of over 5 seconds, that shouldn't disturb.
It will, unfortunately. I know it would annoy me, and I don't suffer from epilepsy, or migraines, or autism. It needs to be opt-in rather than opt-out.

Wouldn't it be less distracting to simply put all three cats in one's signature banner, as people do already? No disruptive animations needed.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
It sounds like animation is not popular, which is fine as this platform doesn't support it. :)

Here are the protocols for signatures:

1. Your signature may include:
  • Up to one picture.
  • Up to 5 smiley icons from the forum collection (in one of your lines of text).
2. Your signature may take up to 3 lines in total, including images. The image takes up one line so you can either have 3 lines of text (with up to 5 smilies in them) or 2 lines of text + one image.

3. You can't upload an image directly to your signature. You have to store the image somewhere else and then embed the image using a direct link to the image (more on that later on).

4. If you add an image, it will be displayed at a maximum height of 135 pixels and a maximum width of 640 pixels. The picture will retain its original ratio so it's best to choose a horizontal image.

5. You may include a single discreet link in your signature once you've made at least 100 posts AND have been a member for at least 15 days.