Am I Over Supplementing?

abby2932

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
4 short months after I started the transition from canned to raw, I think we have reached the “meal plan goal” and I won’t be making any significant changes. We are at:
  • 1/3 Commercial Raw
  • 1/3 Ground Meat/Organs/Bone + Alnutrin Premix w/o Calcium
  • 1/3 Whole Prey (bone-in)
I’m hoping that you guys can look at my detailed menu and if you can give thoughts/opinions on my supplementation to make sure I am not over supplementing. I would really, really appreciate it!

SATURDAY & SUNDAY

Breakfast & Dinner
  • Rad Cat Turkey
  • Rad Cat Lamb
Since the Rad Cat is a commercial raw and completely balanced, I do not supplement at all on Sat & Sun.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MONDAY-FRIDAY

Breakfast
  • Whole Prey Adult Quail (*will soon include whole adult mice in rotation here but for now, is just quail)
    • Includes: head, feet, organs
    • Excludes: feathers, stomach, intestine
    • (*Mice will include everything, in their entirety)
Dinner
  • Hare Today Ground Meat/Bones/Organs (Rotation of Rabbit, Beef, Cavies & Chicken)
    • Appropriate amount of Alnutrin premix without Calcium
Supplements
  • 250mg Krill Oil per DAY (per cat) in ground food
  • 1 Egg Yolk per week (per cat) in ground food
  • 1 Sardine per week (per cat) as separate treat
MY QUESTIONS:

1.Krill Oil - Am I giving the correct amount? I think I read that cats should have 500mg daily but since the breakfast meal is Whole Prey and they eat the brains and eyes, my thinking is that I only need to supplement half that amount, hence 250mg.

2.Egg Yolk – Is the inclusion of 1 yolk per week excessive? The Alnutrin premix in their ground food does already include powdered egg yolk in the ingredients list.

3.Sardine – Is the 1oz per week (per cat) an improvement in the diet, unnecessary, or harmful by giving too much Omega 3’s on top of everything else?

4.Am I missing anything from the menu that could be harmful if omitted?

Sorry for the lengthy post! If anyone can answer some or all of these questions, I would feel a million times better!!!

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think your meal plan looks good, and your reasoning seems sound.
1. That seems reasonable.
2. I don't think it's excessive. Egg yolks are very nutritious.
3. Most farm-raised animals are have a very high ratio of Omega 6 to Omega 3. I highly doubt that the Omega 3's provided by 1 oz of sardines is too much.
4. I can't think of any critical you are missing. You could add probiotics for general gut health, but I don't think they are a necessity.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abby2932

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks vball for checking it over and sharing your thoughts!!

I just don't want to be one of the statistics that does this raw feeding thing wrong, you know? I do FEEL like I have done tons of research. Websites such as felinenutrition, rawfedcats, catcentric, catifo.org I have read them all many, many times as well as scoured this forum and have received lots of help here.

Thanks again! :)