Air Frying

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Some of you may have read my whining posts about my Samsung range issues including is inability to heat water to a boil on two of my four burners. Consequently I have been out shopping for a new stove and have found that all of the models that include convection baking and a couple other of my “must haves” also have an air frying mode. I have never paid much attention to what exactly what you air fry or why. While I am excited to have a new feature I know nothing.

What do you air fry and are their recipes needed? Is it really better than just baking or frying something?

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a small air fryer (the countertop kind) and absolutely love it. I can "boil' eggs in it, and make frozen corn on the cob that is as good as the fresh off the outside grill. It's faster and I don't know why, but the food comes out delicious.

I don't have an air fryer in my oven yet, but it's on my wish list. I have a few air fryer cookbooks, but I haven't done anything
except skim the recipes. I can see where they would be helpful. I just usually look at online videos.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I have several air fryers, but not in my stove/oven. I use them all the time. Burgers, home made fries, chicken, turkey, pizza, etc. Pork roasts, turkey breast. All kinds of vegetables. I don’t do cookies or breads, simply because I don’t see the use. I do casseroles, too

I do have a few recipes listed under Ninja, but the premise is the same for air frying in your oven, I would think. Close enough to give you some ideas. Good luck!

Look up Recipes - Ninja Foodi Grill in the Food Section. I can’t link as I’m on my iPad right now (and I’m not coordinated enough). Air crisp is the same as air fry.

The thing is that my NFG does more than just air fry, so you’ll have to go down thru the recipes to see those for air frying.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a small air fryer (the countertop kind) and absolutely love it. I can "boil' eggs in it, and make frozen corn on the cob that is as good as the fresh off the outside grill. It's faster and I don't know why, but the food comes out delicious.

I don't have an air fryer in my oven yet, but it's on my wish list. I have a few air fryer cookbooks, but I haven't done anything
except skim the recipes. I can see where they would be helpful. I just usually look at online videos.
Ooh, air fried corn! That is something for sure I will try.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I have several air fryers, but not in my stove/oven. I use them all the time. Burgers, home made fries, chicken, turkey, pizza, etc. Pork roasts, turkey breast. All kinds of vegetables. I don’t do cookies or breads, simply because I don’t see the use. I do casseroles, too

I do have a few recipes listed under Ninja, but the premise is the same for air frying in your oven, I would think. Close enough to give you some ideas. Good luck!

Look up Recipes - Ninja Foodi Grill in the Food Section. I can’t link as I’m on my iPad right now (and I’m not coordinated enough). Air crisp is the same as air fry.

The thing is that my NFG does more than just air fry, so you’ll have to go down thru the recipes to see those for air frying.

So when you make french fries, do you have to put oil on them?

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I do, yes. You don't drench them in oil, but you do need a spritz of oil on them. I use only avocado oil because I read that Pam spray contains lecithin, which makes the spray stick to non-stick surfaces. That includes your air fryer surface. Plus, avocado spray has a high heat temp. I use a spritz or two of avocado spray on the fries and then shake them a bit to help distribute the spray.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just spray my homemade fries with Pam. Lecithin is an oil found in soybeans and egg yolks, and acts as an emulsifier. If you look deep enough you'll find bad in literally everything. I am not going to quit eating eggs because of that. Browns them very nicely, no calories. so far that and wings are the only thing I cook in it, has anyone really tried fried chicken? I am curious, they SAY it is very good, but really?

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I "fry" chicken and it's really not bad. I like my wings done in the NFG, but I also like to do chicken thighs that way, too. No, it's not technically fried, but it's still good eats.

The whole thing about lecithin isn't a food/health thing as much as it is a "sticky" thing. The lecithin in Pam and other sprays can eventually cause your non-stick surface to start to stick. That's the only reason I mentioned it. I use avocado spray because it doesn't contain lecithin and so it helps the non-stick surface. And because it has a higher smoke point than other sprays. I think grapeseed oil also has a higher smoke point as well.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I am feeling kind of simple because all I use is vegetable oil.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure whether this should be here in Air Frying or rather in What's for Dinner. Pays your penny and takes your choice.

Let me say that I think they need a better owner's manual. Not all of us want an app. Some of us don't even turn our phones on. However I did persevere. And what we had was

a swordfish steak marinated for about 90 minutes with chicken stock, a little soy sauce, grated lime zest, lime juice, grainy mustard, and a Tblsp of avocado oil. Dried it off, brushed on avocado oil, and air fryed at 385 degrees F. for 12 minutes. Quite nice.

Dinner-Air Fryer_2024-04_swordfish steak.jpg
Sides were shredded potato fried in cast iron pan and Brussels sprouts steamed in a pot.

Nothing like touching all bases with cooking techniques, but then, I did not manage to incorporate the microwave.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The air fryer for beginners cookbook had only one recipe for shrimp. And I did not like it. Looked online. Why do recipes seem to involve complicated seasoning efforts? So last night I defrosted shrimp, removed tails, patted dry, then tossed with sweet paprika and avocado oil. And prepared in air fryer. Quick, good, but not any better than my usual techniques for shrimp.

Anyhow, here's what we had for dinner last night:

Air Fry-Shrimp_2024-04_plated up.jpg

air fryer shrimp with ramen noodles and microwave steamed broccoli​