Aggressive New Cat

mrasmussen11

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i adopted a 1 and 1/2 year only Himalayan snowshoe mix about two weeks ago, she came from a hoarding siuation with 50 other Himalayan cats. So I’m guessing she doesn’t have a lot of human socialization. She has had two litters of kittens already when i adopted her she had just been spayed and was still nursing her kittens up until her spaying.

I am having trouble with her being quite defensively aggressive and occasionally offensively aggressive. I have her locked in my bedroom where she has access to her food water and litter box as well as multiple cardboard boxes and covered cat bed and cat tree and two scratching posts. When I first got her she would not come out from under the bed she would wedge herself between my headboard and wall where she knew I couldn’t reach her. Now that she has gotten more bold she goes to the middle of under my bed and if I walk into my room or try to go about my day she growls and hisses at me constantly. She will stop hissing if I sit down and don’t move but as soon as I even turn my head she’s back to hissing. She even at two times came out from under the bed while I sat on the ground and swatted and hissed at me. She didn’t use claws though.

The other night though she came out and jumped on my bedside table and started purring and trilling and let me pet her and then she got on my bed and head bumped me. She then rolled onto her back and let me scratch her stomach all while purring. She licked me and lightly nibbled on my fingers. Then she slept next to me all night and cuddled up to be but as soon as I work up in the morning and got ready for work she was back to hissing and growling.

She isn’t very food or play motivated so a lot of times I sit and just talk to her in a nice tone and slow blink at her she sometimes does it back. I absolutely don’t want to give her back to the shelter but I don’t enjoy being scared that I’m going to get bit or scratched when I climb into bed. I was hoping some of you could give me advice on how to get her to stop hissing and warm up to me.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Coming from the situation she was in you've made incredible progress in only 2 weeks. She's letting you know she's scared but not trying to hurt you and is beginning to trust you.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: Congrats on the adoption of your new girl. :bouquet: Poor kitty, with being with all those other cats, and having 2 litters of kittens already. At least that's all behind her now. :catlove:

Sounds like things are progressing now that she's with you. I'll post some TCS articles that might be helpful.

How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home
Cat Aggression Toward People
How To Stop Playtime Aggression In Cats

How To Get A Cat To Come Out Of Hiding?
10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats

If you can, please post a picture of your pretty girl.
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post