After anasthsia care for outdoor cat

Timewarpcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will ask my vet, but I'm trying to get ready for Wednesday.

I'm having a 2 year old outdoor cat neutered on Wednesday at about 10 AM. I will have him home about 5 PM. Will 60°F (15.6°C) be warm enough after anasthesia for overnight? He is living in the garage now and has a heated pad, but that seems risky for post anesthesia.

(Indoors is a risk to him. My indoor cats have toxoplasmosis in the brain, a very strange thing, and even with aggressive treatment, they might not make it. The vet said keep the stray cat outside until I'm done with the treatment. To bring him in the house, I will have to set something up, which is why I'm asking here. The basement is too cold too, if the garage is too cold).

Tx! I hope 60F is fine.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would provide the heating pad and place a folded towel or blanket over it. Anesthesia can cause temperature regulation issues so animals (and people too) need to be kept warm post-surgery and anesthesia until they have fully recovered which may take up to a day or so.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi there! Agree with the above post. This a cat who is used to the outdoors, yes? Don't know where you live, but what is the norm for him in terms of temps? If your cat is amenable to using the heated pad, that will probably be just fine. Just do often checks on him to see how he is doing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Timewarpcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He was out in the early spring in minnesota. Temps were about 15 to 20F at night. IDK if he was out when it was even colder. Vet said he is a tough outdoor tomcat. He looks so much better after antibiotics, detick, deworm and good food for a month.

Ok, thanks everyone!! I really didnt prefer to bring him in the house for a couple more months.