Advice or direction on rehoming cat

Anne2021

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is there anyone who has ideas on rehoming a cat? I must rehome a female cat that I took in and I don't have a lot of social contacts, so I don't have people I can ask. I can take her to the local no-kill shelter. I spoke with them and they would take her, but they warned me that she could be there a long time without the amount of attention and play time that she needs for her hyper personality, based on what I shared about her, and they recommend that it might be easier on her if she could go straight from one home to another. I have heard of organizations that connect people, like Rehome with Adopt-A-Pet, or petfinder, or getyourpet and so on. My vet even recommends one of them, but the reviews on those kinds of organizations aren't great. I just wondered if anyone has other ideas that I'm not thinking of or if someone has experience with one of those groups or something else they've done. I thought about reaching out to people on the Nextdoor website. I'm just overwhelmed and this is an emotional thing.

Just for some background so people understand that don't have another option at this point - I took her in from the local humane society in October 2021. It has been over 16 months of trying to make this work. I have spent so much money I can't afford, tried medications for her I thought I would never try, and had multiple appointments with a cat behaviorist. I have spent energy I can't afford as well, as I have health issues. I have never had problems with my health and having cats, but she is unlike any cat I have ever encountered before, and she has sapped my strength. After everything, it is also apparent that she can't live with other cats. She is also very hyper and needs a lot of stimulation and play that I simply can't provide and acts in many ways more like a large-breed puppy that never grows up than a cat. She is almost four years old so that it is not simply her still being a kitten. The cat behaviorist believes it is time to stop trying as well. In fact, she told me that months ago, and I have been delaying doing this because of how hard it is to do, but it is not fair to my other cats, who are suffering from her presence substantially. She is also clearly not thriving here and is frustrated much of the time. The decision is made, and I have to stop procrastinating for everyone's sake.

Any advice or other people's experiences in finding a suitable home would be appreciated.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You might check with some rescue centers (vs. shelters) and ask if they can help. Many of them work with volunteers who will foster a cat while looking for a permanent home. They can assess her to see if she is really cat who should be in a household with no other pets. If you have the Next-Door Neighbor web site, you can ask for help in a fostering/adoption situation. You need to be upfront with them about her behavior - but it sounds like it might just what you said about needing to be in a home with no other pets, so if you truly believe that to be the case that is what you can offer to them as a reason for re-homing.

As far as the re-homing organizations, I don't know how they work, but perhaps you could interview them for a better understanding/appreciation for their process. As far as the reviews you've seen, you could share some of that information with Next-Door Neighbor and see if anyone on that site can provide information from that aspect.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anne2021

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You might check with some rescue centers (vs. shelters) and ask if they can help. Many of them work with volunteers who will foster a cat while looking for a permanent home. They can assess her to see if she is really cat who should be in a household with no other pets. If you have the Next-Door Neighbor web site, you can ask for help in a fostering/adoption situation. You need to be upfront with them about her behavior - but it sounds like it might just what you said about needing to be in a home with no other pets, so if you truly believe that to be the case that is what you can offer to them as a reason for re-homing.

As far as the re-homing organizations, I don't know how they work, but perhaps you could interview them for a better understanding/appreciation for their process. As far as the reviews you've seen, you could share some of that information with Next-Door Neighbor and see if anyone on that site can provide information from that aspect.

FeebysOwner, thank you so much for the advice.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there anyone who has ideas on rehoming a cat? I must rehome a female cat that I took in and I don't have a lot of social contacts, so I don't have people I can ask. I can take her to the local no-kill shelter. I spoke with them and they would take her, but they warned me that she could be there a long time without the amount of attention and play time that she needs for her hyper personality, based on what I shared about her, and they recommend that it might be easier on her if she could go straight from one home to another. I have heard of organizations that connect people, like Rehome with Adopt-A-Pet, or petfinder, or getyourpet and so on. My vet even recommends one of them, but the reviews on those kinds of organizations aren't great. I just wondered if anyone has other ideas that I'm not thinking of or if someone has experience with one of those groups or something else they've done. I thought about reaching out to people on the Nextdoor website. I'm just overwhelmed and this is an emotional thing.

Just for some background so people understand that don't have another option at this point - I took her in from the local humane society in October 2021. It has been over 16 months of trying to make this work. I have spent so much money I can't afford, tried medications for her I thought I would never try, and had multiple appointments with a cat behaviorist. I have spent energy I can't afford as well, as I have health issues. I have never had problems with my health and having cats, but she is unlike any cat I have ever encountered before, and she has sapped my strength. After everything, it is also apparent that she can't live with other cats. She is also very hyper and needs a lot of stimulation and play that I simply can't provide and acts in many ways more like a large-breed puppy that never grows up than a cat. She is almost four years old so that it is not simply her still being a kitten. The cat behaviorist believes it is time to stop trying as well. In fact, she told me that months ago, and I have been delaying doing this because of how hard it is to do, but it is not fair to my other cats, who are suffering from her presence substantially. She is also clearly not thriving here and is frustrated much of the time. The decision is made, and I have to stop procrastinating for everyone's sake.

Any advice or other people's experiences in finding a suitable home would be appreciated.
I've used Adopt A Pet, but did not adopt them out through there. They only charge the adopter $30.00 the good thing is you can screen your applicants. (I ended up keeping them).
Did you sign a contract with the Humane Society to return to them? Have you looked into sancutaries? In the area I live there are many rehoming sites. My fear is if she has so many behavioral problems that if adopted to the wrong person may end up out on the street.

Anne2021

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've used Adopt A Pet, but did not adopt them out through there. They only charge the adopter $30.00 the good thing is you can screen your applicants. (I ended up keeping them).
Did you sign a contract with the Humane Society to return to them? Have you looked into sancutaries? In the area I live there are many rehoming sites. My fear is if she has so many behavioral problems that if adopted to the wrong person may end up out on the street.
I am also concerned about finding the right person for her because she is such a challenge. It's one of the reasons that I would like to speak with prospective new guardians myself. No one else will be able to give a comprehensive history and description of her. The longer I have her, though, the more I think she may have been happier as a working cat.

CodyMolly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
not sure where you live but look into calling some veterinarians offices and call there for recommendations - they may know of a large rescue group who can take your cat. In my area there is a place rescue that takes the unwanted cats and keeps them outside I. A humongous outdoor pen and they have a door that they choose if they want to go inside with lots of toys and condos! Maybe look at some rescue group but do a thorough search so your cat doesn’t end up in the wrong hands. I understand it’s hard but there are so many people out there that are not patient and would put it in the street like you said. Glad you’re being careful,, ashame you can’t put the cat in a seperate bedroom as it place. Bless you for watching over the cat.

Anne2021

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
not sure where you live but look into calling some veterinarians offices and call there for recommendations - they may know of a large rescue group who can take your cat. In my area there is a place rescue that takes the unwanted cats and keeps them outside I. A humongous outdoor pen and they have a door that they choose if they want to go inside with lots of toys and condos! Maybe look at some rescue group but do a thorough search so your cat doesn’t end up in the wrong hands. I understand it’s hard but there are so many people out there that are not patient and would put it in the street like you said. Glad you’re being careful,, ashame you can’t put the cat in a seperate bedroom as it place. Bless you for watching over the cat.

Thank you for the advice. I have tried to segregate her as much as possible in her own room, but she goes nuts. She is a hyperactive cat who becomes a nervous wreck without stimulation. It's been more than 16 months and all the cats are just so stressed out, including her. So am I. I have health issues and she's taking so much energy out of me, and I've got to use all the energy I can to earn a living. I tell her she's a puppy-cat (not a kitty-cat) ;) because she really has the energy of a puppy and scares me that I'm going to fall as she regularly zooms around the side of and in front of me when I'm on the stairs. I've learned to grab the handrail and just stop when I hear her coming. I could tell so many stories. I've never met a cat like her. I can handle cats that act like normal cats, but I can't handle a puppy - or a cat that acts like a puppy - and if I can't keep going, I can't provide a home for my other cats, much less her. It's heartbreaking, but I've waffled long enough. I have to move forward.

Anne2021

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Also, my vet's recommendation was that I find some place where she could live outside, but she didn't mean in a pen. She wouldn't do well in a community of cats outdoors whether in a pen or not because other cats make her very nervous.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A Anne2021 I would contact a local rescue. Even one an hour or two away might help you.

You can write down her history and offer your contact information for potential adopters.

Personally, as an adopter, I found rescues more forthcoming about information than shelters.

There are many people (including myself) who are happy to adopt high energy or dog-like cats. But it's certainly easier when you're expecting it. (For us, Magnus was a kitten so his foster had no way of knowing. Then we actively sought out a similar cat to keep Magnus busy.)

A rescue will be happy to hear about your experience and what worked well because they want a forever placement. I'm sure they'd be quite happy to receive photos and bio information from you too.

Find a rescue with an open "return" policy, if possible. If they seem non-judgemental with you and help you feel comfortable, they won't make an adopter feel uncomfortable if they have to return any cat for whatever reason, so she's more likely to end up there if there's another failure. I don't think this happens as much when the volunteers are encouraged to be forthcoming with information.