Advice On Pregnant Queen

mina001

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, I joined this site last year when I had a pregnant cat and all you wonderful advisors helped me through the birth and problems with the kittens.
I have a friend with a pregnant cat who had questions and I knew just where to turn to ask for her, so here goes. Mum is a Very small petite cat. Has no idear when she got pregnant. Noticed a growing bulge nearly 3 weeks ago and has seen movement for week and half.
As she is small will she carry small and not look big or is it the opposite? Has had a bit of runny poop today. What say you on gestation and size? Managed to get one photo if any use. From over head does look like a football. Thanks.

Attachments

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In my opinion if she's a small cat she'll likely be showing quite a bit when she's close to delivery. If you've seen movement it stands that she's in second month of gestation, but from the angle of photo it's hard to tell. Can you get a photo of her standing up, from above?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mina001

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, thanks I will try when at my friends later.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is your friend keeping her girl inside and feeding her unlimited dry food with meals of wet? Kitten food is best.

How are your cats doing? We'd love an update.

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
IMG_3977.jpg
IMG_3978.jpg
IMG_3979.jpg
It also depends on how many she's carrying. Here's one of mine about a day or two before delivery. She was carrying 7.5 though! (One was tiny & stillborn). She is petite as well, about 7 & a half lbs.

Has your friends cat ever had kittens before? Do you know about how old she is?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If the litter is small, the bulge doesnt need to be big. Also, if they are inexperinced, they may notice the movements quite late... Anyways, its about one week left, not much more.

She may get runny stools although pregnant, but its quite common they get runny stool the day before delivery. Its way of Nature to clean up the place, and not get too messy at delivery.

In plain english: its fully possible she will deliver in the next 48 hours, perhaps even earlier.

M mina001

mina001

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all, thanks for the replies.
1. My friend isn't pc friendly so I'm doing this on her behalf.
2. Her cat is definitely kept inside and I've shared all the information with her on preparation for the birth and kittens.
3. It's lovely to be in touch again, my cats are doing great, will post photos and information later.
4. Wasn't able to get a photo of cat from over head but it's so hard to tell how long she has to go though she managed to get up on top of a wardrobe and started scratching apparently somewhere she had never gone before and no more runny poop as yet.

mina001

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. Just a quick update. My friends cat is still pregnant. She has got a huge amount bigger but seems a bit bigger one side, maybe she has an odd amount of kittens!? How much longer do you think? She goes in and out her nest infrequently and mainly to eat but last night woke my friend up meowing but seems for no reason. Do all pregnant queens mammaries swell just before birth? Hers don't seem full also eating alot today.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

mina001

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I've given my friend all this information to read already. I say we're all set as hopefully I'll be able to be there if possible. Will try and get another photo soon but seems mum is camera shy!

mina001

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good morning all. It's 4:40am here uk time. Yesterday evening at 6:00pm catwent iinto labour. Was extremely restless and couldn't chose a spot to settle. Eventually went to ideal place set up for her. 8:3pm started presenting with a tail first and just a tail for half an hour then the body with head still inside. She was frantic running around the place, spinning around, wouldn't settle. Finally delivered, sadly we were unable to revive. She settled down then at 10:30am another tail first but went well then another at 10:50 which went well also. Took a while for it to latch on but all doing well. Then another at 2:00am then 2:30 which took ages to latch on also but finally mum and 4 babies all settled nicely.
Will get photos later and weigh them soon. I need to get some sleep now. Be in touch later.