Advice on feeding homemade and Alnutrin

kbstarfish

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am new to homemade cat food and I have studied about it quite a bit, but I am still a little uncomfortable because I don't have all of the answers I need. This is how I am doing it and I need someone to tell me if I am doing it correctly because I am pretty nervous every time I feed them. Here is what they are eating...

A bit of Dr. Elsey's dry CLEAN PROTEIN on the side

I BAKE BONELESS, SKINLESS CHICKEN THIGHS @ 350 degrees for 15 minutes & WEIGH OUT 1LB
I BAKE 1 OZ OF CHICKEN LIVER ALONG SIDE OF THE THIGHS
I ADD DRIPPINGS (there is very little in the pan)
I USE ALNUTRIN PREMEASURED WITH CALCIUM MIXED WITH 1/2 C WATER

I PUT ALL OF THIS IN MY FOOD PROCESSOR AND PULSE

I FEED THEM 3X PER DAY

I plan to switch the type of meat when I get used to doing this. Our local meat market packs the chicken in 1lb freezer wrapped chubs for me. I buy the livers at another grocery store, it comes in a tub and I freeze it in portions. If there is anything I need to do differently, please do not hesitate to let me know. BTW...THEY LOVE IT!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This all sounds good to me.

I would add some canned food to their rotation to weather out shortages, fussiness, and forgetfulness (if you run out before you make a new batch.) It also hedges your bets in case you are nervous about making your cat's food. Maybe two meals a day homemade and one canned. Or maybe even less frequent than that. As long as it's in their rotation and they can be easily shifted on to it if you have trouble acquiring ingredients or making a new batch.

I would also have your cats checked a couple times a year the first year you're feeding homemade to establish healthy baselines and make sure you don't have a sneaky deficiency somewhere.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kbstarfish

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you draftcat75! I appreciate the advice! I feed Tiki Cat After Dark Chicken and Duck & I still have quite a bit of that left. I buy tons at a time from Chewy, I adore Chewy, they are very good to me......maybe because I spend lots of money there???? They are regularly vet checked. I thought about calling their vet and asking her what she thought about feeding the slightly cooked and using Alnutrin, but I have read lots and lots of great things about Alnutrin and didn't feel she could tell me much more than I already knew. They will be going for a checkup in 2 months, do you think that is an appropriate amount of time?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's hard to know when a nutritional deficiency might reveal itself. That's why I, an Internet stranger whose opinion is worth only as much as you're paying for it, feel a six month and 12 month and then once a year after that should be enough to detect changes or a deterioration of condition. You might consider this 2 month appointment your "zero point." Then schedule a six and 12 month after that.