advice for a newbie!! :)

ciggggg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone!! Finally a place where everyone loves cats as much as I do! Over the past 4 months I have gotten two kittens! I originally bought Penny but I felt wayyyy too bad for her being home alone while i was at work! I then welcomed Butters into our home! They are now the best of friends! My real goal is in the future (not for a few years yet) is to become a registered breeder. I dont want to become a dodgy backyard breeder. I want to get involved in cat shows, research the genetics side of things. Ultimately I want to do this because I just love the cats and I want to produce High quality. I really dont care how much money i make or even if i end up at a loss.  I want to spend the next few years doing extensive research into the different breeds of cat, the genetics, and all the information i can possibly prepare myself with! I want to attend cat shows and see how its all done. This is obviously something I dont want to rush into. If theres registered breeders here that could give me tips, advice, general information and stories of how becoming breeders has changed thier lives, the pro's and con's, everything anyone is willing to share, I'd love to hear from everyone. Seriously.. i could talk about cats all day haha Thanks everyone! I hope to meet people who se my passion for our friendly feline companions!

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Start by going to shows, then get a show neuter of your choosen breed and show it.  I'm surprised though that you plan becoming a breeder but your post suggests to me you don't have a prefered breed as yet.  Remember the only way to make a small fortune with breeding is to start with a large one...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ciggggg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hey. Thanks :) sorry i didnt mention in my excitement of finding a current cat forum, that im actually interested in two breeds. the himalayan and scottish fold. penny(my cat in my avatar) is apparently a mix of both. She was the result of an accidental breeding. as i said i dont want to ruah into anything and ivejust as a back up started putting money aside each week. this isnt something i want to do right now...a few years down the track maybe. Right now im more interested in finding out as much information about both breeds that i can possibly fin :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
We had recently a couple of  discussions about Scottish folds, and we do have here also such breeders.

Although Scotish is tricky judging from these discussions - you must be very careful, if not you can run into grave health problems.

So himalayan should be easier.   :)

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Breeding is a passion, it's hard work and at times heartbreaking. Find a breed that you just can't live without first.

Show a neuter or two for a few years, in that time hopefully you'll have built up a relationship with the breeder who will then allow you to have an entire cat. I don't recommend anyone start out with a male, begin with a female and send her out to the stud.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Agree with Missymotus.

Agree also with StefanZ - Scottish folds can be problematic.

So, however, can Himalayans at least on a practical viewpoint.  Presenting one in show condition is very hard work, and they all need you to have plenty of time to keep their coats in good condition.  If you start breeding you will end up with quite a few cats, and that can need an awful lot of time to do the necessary upkeep.  Since the cat in your avarar isn't a pure-bred Himalayan (which is simply a colourpoint Persian) she won't have the same fullness of coat and grooming needs that most pure-breds do.

Strongly suggest you go to some shows, and meet cats of many breeds before deciding which direction to go in.  Breeders and owners love telling you how fantastic their breed is, you will learn buckets doing it.  And you might find your ideas on what breed is 'you' changing...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ciggggg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for your advice. I think my best option is just to keep researching. I plan to attenend as many local cat shows as I can. It will be very interesting to see what kind of cats people have out here. Im a bit nervous about talking to breeders at the moment to be honest. I dont want them to assume that im not serious about this or just assume im doing this for the money and that im just another back yard breeder.. I really want to get as much serious and helpful information as possible.. What would be a good way to introduce myself to breeders at shows? I want to ask them all about why they chose thier breeds and just general advice and info.

Thanks for your responses :)

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I want to ask them all about why they chose thier breeds

That's a simple answer, because my breed is the best

Make sure to choose a quiet time to approach breeders, usually if you ask a few questions we'll just chatter on and on about our breed lol
Let them know you're interested in a show neuter and perhaps breeding down the track. Or begin with just watching a few shows before talking to anyone.

Where are you located?

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How is it, doing some rescuing and specializing on high preg moms.

It is surely a wonderful school for an breeder to be, giving lotsa of experience of preg queens, deliveries and kitten care. Perhaps even bottle raising, contacts with vets, etc.

All such invaluable experiences for a breeder.

But there is surely some anxiety for getting in unpleasant viruses and bacteria into the walls?

"There cant not be even a shadow on the virtue of Ceasars wife" as the saying goes.

And thus, not on a breeders "virus-reputation" either...

This is the main reason very few breeders are physically active in rescuing work.  Although many do sympathise and are helping in other ways.

How do "the breeder society" looks on ex rescuers as now active breeders?

Last edited:

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fostering a cat with kittens is a great thing to do as a prelude to breeding as you find out if looking after kittens really does fit into your life, and you will do some good while you are about it.  The rescue you foster for should also give some support if there are problems, and pay for litter and food.

However I wouldn't approach a possible breeder at a show by saying 'I want to breed'!  Ask the breeders things like what is so special about their breed, what they love about their cats.  And, of course, the person showing a cat might not be a breeder!  In the UK you can buy a catalogue which lists all the cats, the person showing and their sire & dam, and the colour.  If you can get one at your local shows, do so.  Again in the UK, breeders are usually showing adults (entire) cats and kittens, neuters tend to be non-breeders, and all UK shows are penned in the same order of sections and breeds, and adult / kitten / neuter within the breed.  Once you get your eye in for what you are looking at finding your way round gets easier, and locating the adult males can often be done by 'scent'.

Personally I am hopefully about to get my first breeding female.  Sadly the first litter I was to have one from fell through - the breeder bred the two cats I have at present and is a good friend.  I've been to shows with her over the past couple of years and have met some old friends (I showed the same breed a few years back) and made some new ones, and when my friends litter fell through she match-made for me, rather to my surprise!  Along the way of being ready to breed I've moved twice with an eye to breeding (and one to living somewhere much nicer than I was) and waited for my old cat to reach his end - it would have been completely unfair on him.

If you are going to breed you need to find a breed that appeals visually to you, and with a personality (in general) that you like.  Local shows are good as you will hopefully meet local breeders.  Whatever breed you finally set on, you also need to 'get your eye in' for them, so you start appreciating what they should look like - the differences between good and bad