Adopting A (semi) Street Cat!

rodrigsteve

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!

I am a new cat owner. I’ve had my kitten for a little over a month. He was adopted from a shelter, with two out three of his shots. He doesn’t have flees or heart worms and has been neutered.

A few months ago, my niece found a some weeks old kitten on the street. She took her in and kept her for about 3months. Now, her land lord is not allowing her to keep the cat. She asked me if I would take it in, but I am a little concerned. This cat has never been to a vet, but we know she doesn’t have flees and has been pretty healthy.

Is there anything I should worry about before bringing her into my home, and meeting my kitten? Am I running any risk regarding their health?

Help!
Thank you.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
The new kitten should be inoculated and tested for FeLV as well as internal parasites and kept separate till she's had all her shots. Your kitten also should have had all the rounds of shots before you allow them to meet.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Once you have both cats with a clean bill of health, you can start to do some introductions. It is best to keep them separated for a bit. You want the new kitty, to get used to you as well as used to your home. Keep the new kitty in a safe room. The first step is to do scent swapping. You can use 2 clean wash clothes. One to wipe down the scent of your resident kitty and one to wipe down the scent of the new kitty. Then exchange wash clothes. You can just set them down in the room and allow the cat to smell it.

Here are some articles and a video to help with introductions once all cats are ready. Thank you for taking in this new kitty.

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/the-ultimate-yet-simplified-guide-to-introducing-cats

A Simple Little Trick to Use During New Cat Introductions

Cat Care