Adopted Deaf Cat, Don't Think I Can Deal With His Behavior - Advice?

gataverde

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I adopted a cat a couple days ago, and his behavior is not jiving with what we were told about him and isn't something I will be able to deal with more than a week or so. I don't see it resolving anytime soon. I have had many rescue cats in the past and have worked through issues. What I'm seeing is far beyond what I have experienced, and I was not interested in a high needs/special needs situation right now.

We were looking for a family cat. We were prepared to deal with timidness and working with some behavior from not being treated properly. I told the organization I went through that the only behavior I could not work through was loud yowling. I also told them we would never own more than one cat and would not be allowing it in our bedrooms. They matched us with two cats that had come from a hoarder house in September, that they determined could go to different homes. Both were considered social and friendly, had good habits and they thought they would do well with children. We visited, and the female seemed a little twitchy and "off," so we were not interested in her.

The male was very relaxed and friendly, a little playful, but he is deaf. The foster mother said it doesn't seem to bother him or slow him down. She said he trills and chirrups, which we saw for ourselves. He was specifically noted as needing an active household with kids or other cats. We were told he likes to be active at night, and she'll hear him thumping around playing down there. We spent some time with him and there didn't seem to be any red flags other than the deafness and a slight cross to his eyes. He had a clean bill of health from the vet, and there was no explainable reason for his deafness.

The Cat: Male, neutered, ~4 years old, deaf.

When we got him home, he was eager to come out of his transport, greet us and explore the room. He was exceptionally happy, ate, drank, played, used his box, used his scratching post. Now worries at all... until we had to leave the room. Immediate distress that only escalated- yowling loudly. We tried to have someone keeping him company throughout the evening, but couldn't have someone there at all times. He got upset immediately upon being left alone and it would not end. He will also turn and walk away and think he is alone and start yelling, not even turning or attempting to find you, just panic until you wave in front of him (and he is perfectly happy again). He doesn't seem to care where he is or who he is with, just that he has company.

His vision, although listed as normal in his medical paperwork, seems very limited. He has no peripheral, and I am pretty sure he is nearsighted. We noticed this right away, yet the woman caring for him didn't notice anything off in the months she had him? We cannot have a deaf and visually limited cat. The hearing was borderline, but he seemed so perfect in other ways that we were willing to accept it.

Overnight was a nightmare. Loud yowling and door pounding all night with only a couple short breaks, I assume when he wore himself out.

Yesterday, we brought him out with us, thinking he would be happier just being with us.... and he is, until he loses sight of a person and starts yowling. He walks across the room, forgets we are right behind him, and yowls. This happens constantly. I think he might be retarded or have short term memory problems.

We had to leave for a couple hours yesterday, so I put him back in his room. He peed in the box twice and on two fabric surfaces in the room while we were gone. It seemed like an abnormally high amount to me and smells sweet and flowery. I know they can excrete more glucose when stressed, but I've never smelled cat urine this sweet, making me wonder if he has diabetes/prediabetes and we specifically passed on a very sweet cat that had diabetes, because the only way I would do blood tests and insulin shots is for a long term, beloved pet. I'm not committing to pre-existing issues that require regular management. Being with a foster for a couple months and having had several vet visits, shouldn't this be something that came up? After peeing out of the box, my husband is done with him.

Last night might have been worse than the night before. This morning, is the same as yesterday. His swings just seem even wider- more affectionate and adorably cattish, contrasted with yowling and lack of any reasonable problem solving skills, like "I might be alone, I should scan the room."

I e-mailed the foster and coordinator detailing my concerns. Any suggestions in the meantime? Short of magic, I'm not sure how to calm him down.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor little guy. I think the best thing would be to return him. Is his sister cat still there? They probably should have adopted them out together. He probably would feel less lonely if he had the other cat with him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gataverde

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She should be. They have both been there since September, and were in a shelter before that. I do think the only way he is going to feel okay is if he has a companion cat. They didn't seem to interact much, other than him taking gentle swipes at her when she would walk by and surprise him, but I imagine life is easier when you have someone familiar. He did like to cruise by the row of cages and had some cats that would reach out at him and vice versa. The thought has occurred to me a few times that he might just be happiest in a foster environment. He would be lacking the human affection, but he would always have "friends" in predictable locations. Our house is pretty big, so maybe part of the yowling is an expectation that other cats will come to him.

I feel awful bringing him back, but I can't think of anything else. I was hoping maybe someone would have some suggestion that would just click for him- when he's not having an anxiety attack, he is amazing... and he loves laying by the piano, probably because he can feel it, so I feel like that is something special to make up for his deafness. Of course, even if the anxiety lessens, I have to be concerned about the potential health issues, and there are certain ones that I would have to bring him back for anyway.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm not certain about the health issues as that would need a test but it does seem he needs a companion animal with him to guide him. He is deaf so they should have told u to expect odd behavior in the beginning. He may grow out of it, but u have to be willing to deal with it, or get his sister for him. He is not at all used to his home so he is testing it the way he knows how, and if u are in a panic normal behavior isn' expected. If i were him I would likely be terrified as 1 he has always been surrounded by animals obviously. 2 he can't hear so how does he know if something is sneaking up or going to eat him 3 all the smells are new, and feels ECT. If u aren't willing to work with him or get him a friend then yes he needs to go back as if u think u guys are stressed then imagine how he feels. Good luck and I do hope they call back soon

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
His sister cat probably helped guide him around, so he is lost without her.

UnderGroundK

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't know what advice to give you but I can share a personal experience with one of my cats. When he was only 2 months old, he climbed on something overnight (he was so playful and active at the time) and fell from that something and broke his back. I was so broken when I found him in the morning barely moving that I couldn't stop crying for hours. I took him to the vet and after treating him she told me that he is young and he will probably heal completely with time. That was not the case. He was not able to walk for well over 2 months and after that, he started moving his legs slowly but he would get tired pretty fast. Now, 6 months later, he can walk well but he cannot keep a straight body posture, can't use his legs to scratch himself, he can't he climb anything and he can lose his balance pretty easy.

Now back to the point. After this incident, for a while he was very silent and sad, and after he got a little better he started having attachments issues. He will always claw at my legs and cry for me to take him in my arms and pet him. He would get jealous every time he saw me petting my other cats and would start crying. Even when I had him in my arms, if I would get my eyes off of him for a second to look somewhere else, he would lick my face or paw at it for me to look back at him. It was like this for a long time until he got back on his feet. And even now he would do this from time to time. So yeah, taking care of a disabled pet can be pretty hard.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gataverde

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks guys. I was hoping there would be more I could try, but it looks like confirmation that he needs to go back. We aren't able to have a second cat, and even if it were an option, we know his sister wouldn't work out with us.

As far as warning us about behavior resulting from his deafness, they did anything but. I brought up my concerns- Would he be louder than usual because he is unable to hear? Was he bonded with the other cat? Would the kids and too many people be too startling for him and make him nervous (he actually does well with this)? Is there anything we need to be aware of? We were assured none of this was an issue. I actually declined him outright originally, because of the hearing, but they insisted he was otherwise a good match for us so we read about deaf cats and went to visit, and he was a good fit based on that visit.

I do understand he is stressed, missing his friends and doesn't know where they are. I know any cat is going to need to adjust, and there are long periods where I start to convince myself he just needs time and love, but then Mr. Hyde emerges, and it's really, really unbearable. I think knowing he is so upset, and that it is psychological rather than behavioral, what makes it hard. I want to make sure he is happy and secure, but I don't know if that is even possible.