Adopted a kitten.. (2nd cat)

blackcatsrule1525

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
We just adopted a 2 month old male kitten named Tigger. We already have a 1 year 8 month old male cat named Jay. Our senior dog passed away about 2 weeks ago and with the possibility that both my husband and I will have to go back into the office, we decided to get a 2nd cat (more explained in my previous post Is having 2 cats better?) so Jay will not be alone for 8-9 hours every day. He has never been alone for that long since we adopted him in the beginning of the pandemic and I have been working from home.

We are trying Jackson Galaxy's guide to introducing a new kitten to an existing cat. We are at the beginning stage where Tigger and Jay are staying in separate rooms and they switch rooms about 3-4 times a day so they can get used to each other's scent. Luckily my husband is a teacher so he is on summer vacation, so one of us is always with Tigger or Jay in the room. It has only been day #2, but Jay is already acting less hissy at Tigger.

Here is my concern now: We are letting Tigger sleep in the study/work room at night and continuing to let Jay sleep in our bedroom at night. FYI, Jay has never slept a night without me and he refuses to sleep if I am not with him. I don't mind this because I love him cuddling me. I know we need to keep them apart until they get used to each other, but whenever I hear poor Tigger mewing in the other room, my heart breaks and I feel sad just thinking of him alone in the dark room :(

Am I doing the right thing by leaving Tigger in the other room at night, even if it makes me feel sad? He eventually goes to sleep (guilty me.. I have checked on him numerous times at night I know bad bad lol) but I just think of him looking for my husband and I.. He is so far definitely a lap cat and loves to sleep on both my husband's laps during the day.

Sorry for the long rant/post. Any advice or thoughts or consolation is appreciated!

-M

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been there that heart breaking meowing from a kitten. But yes your doing things right it's early day's. And checking on the kitten won't help him settle. ;) Think about it from your other cat's point of view he is already putting up with this newcomer now this other cat wants his bed as well. I don't think any of us would be happy. ;) Slow and steady wins the race they'll be getting along before you know it, just don't rush it. Try to keep thing's as normal as possible for the older boy.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Under 2 resident cat + a kitten doesn't usually take very long, its one of the easiest intros (usually). Its *always* good practice for a kitten to spend at least a couple of days in a safe room though, so that if they get scared, they go to that room to hide and don't hide somewhere bad like in your walls or under an appliance! We have an "in the walls" post every year it seems, it does happen, and if you throw in the "in the reclyner[or couch]" and similar posts its almost common for scared kittens to find problematic places to hide!

Personally, I think room swapping with a kitten is more trouble than I'd fuss with. A couple of days for the kitten to get used to a room and you and for the kitten's scent to waft through the house, and provided the adult doesn't seem too stressed by that, I'd let them interact and work things out. Its fine if the adult hisses or even swipes. That can last a few days, and is fully compatible with ending up friends.

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
blackcatsrule1525 blackcatsrule1525
Hi,
Can your husband sleep in one room with Tigger, while Jay stays as usual with you for the moment? If no couch in the study, use a sleeping bag or cot?