AAC Buttons

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hey all! This is just an interesting thread. Anyone else who also uses AAC buttons with their cats can chime in too!

What are AAC buttons
AAC buttons: recordable buttons that you record a word on, and then teach non-verbal beings to use. First used with people, but not also widely used with pets. You might have seen Stella, or Bunny the talking dogs or Billie the talking cat.

Most of button training is basic behavioural conditioning. The pets learn if they press X, Y happens. But the cool thing is, is watching how some pets are getting creative with their word choices or showing us how they interpret the words they understand.

Background for my cats
WE got Magnus Bean in August 2020. My background was in childcare and I noticed that some of Magnus's behaviours seemed to stem from communication frustration the same as a human toddler would exhibit: we couldn't understand what he wanted or was asking for. OR he didn't think we could.
I'd watched videos of Bunny and Stella and thought, why not? So I bought 4 buttons and modeled what they were for. It wasn't long before Magnus was pressing his favourite button: Outside. No different than a dog ringing a bell to say they need out.

Nothing else happened that year much. Nobel never used the buttons. His communication was well established with us. Even on the AAC forums, no one thought he would use them because we already had our own little language. Magnus didn't use the other 3 buttons. Still, we kept modelling and after his first birthday he took off with them!

We learned interesting things like how much he likes music or that he thinks snow and rain are like his catnip bubbles (he uses 'Outside' 'Bubbles') to mean snow or rain.

We don't have a ton of space but they now have the following:
Outside
Birds
Music
Look
Hungry
All Done
Pet
Play
Catnip
Bubbles

Nobel
Calcifer
Magnus
Mom
Ghost
Friend

And with that Magnus says some interesting and curious things 😀. Calcifer regularly talks about his family and makes requests...and sweet Ghost has the refrain of "Pets" "Play" and "Catnip".

So I'll keep sharing this journey with everyone. Calcifer's most recent request was for "bubbles" "hungry" which we came to interpret as kibble because he led us to the food bin.

Some of our buttons can be re-recorded by holding them down. Magnus has moved on from recording music on them to recording the vacuum. It's quite purposeful. He once recorded Hallelujah by Pentatonix on all of his buttons. He also dragged over a paper held a button down and crinkled the paper. So he does have a "blank" button to record things on too.

Magnus has also named the squirrels "Outside""Calcifer". But only the black ones. He likes to request that "birds hungry outside" or "friends hungry outside" so it was an odd progression until we noted that he only said it when black squirrels were outside.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been fascinated by the YouTube videos of pets with these buttons, but when I checked into them I concluded that we can't afford them. I'll be glad to hear your adventures with them so I can enjoy them vicariously.

Some of our buttons can be re-recorded by holding them down. Magnus has moved on from recording music on them to recording the vacuum. It's quite purposeful. He once recorded Hallelujah by Pentatonix on all of his buttons. He also dragged over a paper held a button down and crinkled the paper. So he does have a "blank" button to record things on too.
:yess: Another Pentaholic! ;)

Margret

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've been fascinated by the YouTube videos of pets with these buttons, but when I checked into them I concluded that we can't afford them. I'll be glad to hear your adventures with them so I can enjoy them vicariously.

:yess: Another Pentaholic! ;)

Margret
Hi Margaret! I've been getting inexpensive buttons when they are on clearance on Amazon. The small pet ones are horribly expensive. 😨

Glad to have you here with me on this journey! I'll be posting some weird things they say too to get help with brainstorming what it could mean.

PS. Magnus's favourite artist so far is Faouzia, but he's definitely a Pentaholic too.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Magnus's favourite artist so far is Faouzia, but he's definitely a Pentaholic too.
I've never encountered Faouzia; I'll have to check them out.

Have you tried Magnus on SuperFruit? That's the YouTube channel Mitch and Scott of Pentatonix were using as a vlog when they were living together. It isn't all musical, of course, but I bet Magnus would like their Frozen Medley featuring Kirstie Maldonado. He wouldn't get the jokes, of course (they were thoroughly drunk when they recorded it), but he'd probably love the music.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've never encountered Faouzia; I'll have to check them out.

Have you tried Magnus on SuperFruit? That's the YouTube channel Mitch and Scott of Pentatonix were using as a vlog when they were living together. It isn't all musical, of course, but I bet Magnus would like their Frozen Medley featuring Kirstie Maldonado. He wouldn't get the jokes, of course (they were thoroughly drunk when they recorded it), but he'd probably love the music.
Haha! Yes we've watched Superfruit before. :) He didn't settle to listen much but his humans had some fun. 🙂

He's also a fan of songs in this style:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm curious what he thought of "Aha! Singapore The Star Vista"? Mitch going hyperactive in his upper register strikes me as a very feline thing.

Margret

lissalouie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! Can you recommend a brand of buttons that is sensitive enough for gentle kitties? I tried so hard with the bigger ones on Amazon back with Lou, but despite being the most heavy-footed cat in the world, he was so gentle when trying to push them that they never triggered. I think Rory is similarly gentle with his touches so I'd love some ideas!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Margret Margret haha I can't remember specific video names I'd have to go back and see. Magnus didn't particularly react to any video of theirs though. He doesn't watch screens much and he doesn't have buttons downstairs to record television

lissalouie lissalouie I haven't tried many types of buttons. I got whatever was on sale on various sites. Magnus stands on top of the buttons to set them off. So he tends to reset the words a lot.

This is the brand I'll use next. I have 3 of these so far. I think they can use a gentler touch for it. The selling point for me was that they can't re-record them. Amazon.ca

lissalouie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Margret Margret haha I can't remember specific video names I'd have to go back and see. Magnus didn't particularly react to any video of theirs though. He doesn't watch screens much and he doesn't have buttons downstairs to record television

lissalouie lissalouie I haven't tried many types of buttons. I got whatever was on sale on various sites. Magnus stands on top of the buttons to set them off. So he tends to reset the words a lot.

This is the brand I'll use next. I have 3 of these so far. I think they can use a gentler touch for it. The selling point for me was that they can't re-record them. Amazon.ca
Thank you! I'm gonna buy a set from Amazon US and I'll let you all know how they work as well. :) I would love to try and give Rory an outlet to tell me what he needs other than screaming in my face frantically. (As cute as that is...)

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Magnus has really taken to the "all done" button..but most for telling us about birdseed.

Hungry, all done, look look is what he said the other day. Then he walked over to the back door. Look look is often what we say if we want them to look at something outside. So we can take that as a reference to looking outside the window or, as he went to the door, that he wanted us to look outside the door.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ghost has just said, "outside outside". His first use of that button. I don't know if he's talking about watching outside or making commentary on my wife having gone out.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We've realized that Ghost is using the word "play" to mean "do together" or some action.
He's been using play almost every time he goes to the board. But it's always in combination. "Play, pets, play." Or "play catnip". I'll get what he wants and also his toy, but then he goes back to the board to repeat himself. But if I just provide the second part, say the catnip, he doesn't repeat himself.

Magnus is quite upset we can't put out bird food. He has "hungry music friends" you see.