a question about cat feelings...

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So we have to give one of our cats an antibiotic twice a day, immediately followed by 5 Ml of water, syringed into his mouth, for a month. Yesterday after subjecting him to this treatment, I commented to my husband " I think Binx is mad at me". Husband said he does not think cats get mad like people do.. I have had cats for over 50 years, and I dont know the answer to this...I surely think they have feelings...but do they get "mad" at us?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats have never gotten mad at me. I give one of my cats medacine. She is very easy! My other cat does not liked to be picked up.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I've had to give our cats medicine over the years many times as well as a daily med for our present cat. I can't say any of them liked it and the present cat absolutely hates it BUT he doesn't get mad at me. I give him treats after the med, give him his space and talk softly telling him he's such a good boy. I don't make a big deal either but rather wait for him to come to me which he does when he's ready. We cuddle and he jumps on my lap for a snooze. I agree that cat's have feelings but instead of getting mad at you Binx is showing his displeasure with the antibiotic especially since it's something out of his routine. I hope the medicine helps and he feels better soon.:crossfingers:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think it depends on the cat. My girl, Hekitty, when told "NO!" would turn her back on me, sit down, look at me around her shoulder while AUDIBLY muttering at me. If that isn't mad, I don't know what is. However, they tend to get over it fairly quickly, and they do NOT seem to hold grudges at all.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that cats can get mad-- as in sassing you when you tell them NO. My Artie was forever doing that to me. I used to tell him, "NO", then get an earful of 'Sass", while he was walking away. I would reply, "Don't you sass me back!" "NO back talking"... Then he would forget about it.

Geoffrey is different. It took me a long time, but I discovered his 'stop" phrase: "STOP IT'. I say it loud and with authority. He does stop doing what is naughty; pulls his ears down and walks away... only to give me 'lovings', almost immediately after it. Usually he stops and goes to one of his favorite catnip cuddle toys, after I say this.

Cats do not hold grudges.. but sometimes, they remember....

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my cats, a super sweet girl, came from a shelter with ear mites so her first few weeks with me I sat in a chair and cleaned her ears every day. And every day at some point she peed at the base of my chair. The last time she did it was the last time I cleaned her ears, and she lived another 13 years.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree that cats can get mad-- as in sassing you when you tell them NO. My Artie was forever doing that to me. I used to tell him, "NO", then get an earful of 'Sass", while he was walking away. I would reply, "Don't you sass me back!" "NO back talking"... Then he would forget about it.

Geoffrey is different. It took me a long time, but I discovered his 'stop" phrase: "STOP IT'. I say it loud and with authority. He does stop doing what is naughty; pulls his ears down and walks away... only to give me 'lovings', almost immediately after it. Usually he stops and goes to one of his favorite catnip cuddle toys, after I say this.

Cats do not hold grudges.. but sometimes, they remember....
What beautiful babies!