A Number Of Issues With A 1 Year Old

brian_catlover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've had many cats in the past 20 years, I know that might sound weird but basically I have seen everything from cats really.

about a year ago my wife and I adopted two rescue kittens. One is extremely shy (an abyssinian) and the other is the total orange striped tabby who gets fat (which is ok) and wants to cuddle with anyone near.

The weird thing is we have had issues with the tabby from day 1. He poops outside the litter box probably 60% of the time. We've done everything in the go to manual here (which is really good btw) and taken him to the vet about it. He goes like right outside of the box. We've tried several boxes and probably 5 different types of litter. He does't seem shy. When we put in cat doors to where the box ended up (we had two, one was smaller) he was the first one in and went...then it was on the floor. The vet put him on probiotics which helped the consitency but he still will go right outside the box in general. Again we've gotten a large box for him and he will go in it but not all the time.

The secondary issue is also problematic; he is still teething on our cables. We have wire wrapped the ones that could hurt him but he still chews on the wrap while we are sleeping (it wakes us up).

He is an absolutely sweet cuddly cat and we just want to help him. Again I've gone through the faq's posted which are great and been to the vet who thinks he's really healthy but there has to be something wrong. He was found in a dumpster, there is zero chance we are giving up on this cat.

I am new to the site so if I am repeating what others have said I apologize, I'm just trying to get more advice.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there! I’m sorry to hear about these problems. I know you’ve tried a number of different things to encourage your kitty to poop inside the litterbox, but have you tried putting two litterboxes, just one right next to the other? One cat that I catsat for liked to have separate litterboxes for pee and poop, and I’ve read around the forums on TCS that this preference isn’t too uncommon among cats. Something else you could try if you haven’t already is Cat Attract Litter.

Does your kitty have any chew toys? Some cats like chewing on things, so providing them with a number of chew toys can provide a positive outlet for this. Here’s an article that gives some more tips: How To Stop Problem Chewing In Cats

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to The Cat Site. :wave2:

When you say he poops outside the box, is he standing in the box, or outside of it. I know sometimes my Ruby will back up against the end of the litter box and accidentally pee over the side. Not sure if that could happen with poop, or not.

Also, did he ever have constipation or anything else that would make him associate the litter box with pain.