A kitten fell down my chimney and I need advice!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How did they get up there in the first place?
Niko had scratches in his ear so we thought maybe a predator dropped him? Or his mother tried to tuck him under the chimney cap. There is a tree butted up against the back wall. Perhaps she climbed it. We found Tato under the tree.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cat, Elliot has tattered ears. The only way they could have gotten that way would be a fight. Likely with other cats but it could be raccoons, skunks or opossums. He would have been exposed to all sorts of critters in the outdoors.

He also had an infected wound on his head when we brought him in. We had to take him to the vet to get it cleaned up.
Strangely, he seems to be afraid of coyotes, too. One night he was sitting in the window, supervising the neighborhood, when some coyotes started to howl, outside. Elliot jumped down from the window, ran across the room and cowered in my lap. It took me a good five minutes of petting and reassurance to calm him down.

I have no doubt that your guy, Niko, has had run-ins with wildlife!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The brothers' polar opposites strike again. My nieces and nephews are staying with us through the weekend and Tato decided he adores them. He let's them pick him up and carry him everywhere and he loves to lick their faces.

Nikolas is absolutely terrified of them. He hisses even if he sees them walking around in another room. Literally he just peeks around the doorway, hisses, and bolts.

They big kids are now at school and the baby is napping...so he quietly came and pushed his way into my arm for a cuddle. He NEVER lets me or anyone else cuddle him. But maybe a good snuggle in this weird alien invasion is what makes him feel better. I'll take it.

20240426_122808.jpg

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If Nikolas sees Tato getting attention from new humans, he might decide that he wants some attention for himself.

Our Elliot is a Velcro Kitty who wants attention all the time. Casper is, normally, aloof. He'll come in for a quick "fly-by" but he's not a lap cat, by any stretch of the imagination. However, when Casper sees Elliot getting all the attention he seems to get jealous and wants more attention from his humans.

Your two kitties might be doing the same. Especially when there are new humans in the house. One cat is naturally attentive and goes to greet the new humans who give him lots of kitty loving. The other sees what's happening and decides, "Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if I got some of that for myself."

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Niko had scratches in his ear so we thought maybe a predator dropped him? Or his mother tried to tuck him under the chimney cap. There is a tree butted up against the back wall. Perhaps she climbed it. We found Tato under the tree.
I've been told owls will carry off and drop smaller animals, thank Heavens you were able to save them :redheartpump::hearthrob::heartshape::touched:

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Big owls like Great Horned Owls and Barred Owls typically attack by swooping down with their feet forward and their talons spread. They hit their prey with all their weight and the total force is multiplied by their speed. The prey will be severely stunned if not killed, outright. A large owl could easily kill a rabbit with one blow. They can pick up prey and fly off with it, to be dispatched later, but, more often, they stop to kill the prey before carrying it off. It's a lot easier to fly without dropping their dinner if the dinner isn't struggling to get away. Yes, many animals do escape being attacked by an owl but, more often that not, they are a goner.