A handy trick?

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably someone has already thought of this. But as I got ready to cut up chicken thighs into one ounce pieces I wondered how ever was I going to freeze them so they didn't become one big frozen blob? I ran into that trouble with the gizzards/hearts, though I was able to smack and bang on the bag enough to separate them (then had to put them in a new bag without holes)

My eye fell upon the ice cube trays I use for Jennie's pumpkin portions and a light bulb went on. Cut and weigh, put them in the cube tray until frozen enough to stay shaped, THEN put them in a freezer bag.

TA DA!

Is there any reason why it should not be done this way?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh right, I didn't think to cover them while they are freezing. I don't have a bag big enough, so I covered them tight with foil. They are only going to be in there long enough to freeze, then stored in a freezer food bag.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
As long as they pop out of the ice cube tray, you should be good to go.  What I do is portion mine out and put it on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper, then set that in the freezer for a couple of hours.  Then I pull the "chunks" off the wax paper and put into a large freezer bag.  Same thing, basically.  (and I have never even covered my cookie sheet, since it's only in that state for a couple hours.  But I'm thinking you don't have room to do that in your "mini freezer".

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
As long as they pop out of the ice cube tray, you should be good to go.  What I do is portion mine out and put it on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper, then set that in the freezer for a couple of hours.  Then I pull the "chunks" off the wax paper and put into a large freezer bag.  Same thing, basically.  (and I have never even covered my cookie sheet, since it's only in that state for a couple hours.  But I'm thinking you don't have room to do that in your "mini freezer".
I do this with most of my cat/ferret meats and organs.  I do make a "mush" for my ferrets that I freeze in ice cube trays though.  One by one all "our" food items/containers have gone to the animals. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as they pop out of the ice cube tray, you should be good to go.  What I do is portion mine out and put it on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper, then set that in the freezer for a couple of hours.  Then I pull the "chunks" off the wax paper and put into a large freezer bag.  Same thing, basically.  (and I have never even covered my cookie sheet, since it's only in that state for a couple hours.  But I'm thinking you don't have room to do that in your "mini freezer". ;)
Yep, you guessed it, I have no room for a cookie sheet in my freezer. That was my first thought, before noticing the ice cube trays.

Thanks Sally, and to everyone else, for your input!