7 days post neuter

ggflo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all! I am a first time cat owner and have had my little guy for 2 months now. He got neutered exactly 1 week ago and I am worried that his incision might be infected. The cone we were given right after surgery was not long enough so my cat was still able to reach the incision site to lick it but we didn’t realize that until a couple days later. We have since changed his cone and he can no longer reach it but I am worried that he did damage to it during that time that he was licking it. I have been checking the incision site and it looks to have some yellow crust on it. I’m not sure if that is just normal for helping or if it is a sign of infection. I have called our vet and multiple other ones and either they are booked for another week or 2 or their exam prices are $60+ so I wanted to get second opinions from experienced cat owners before spending the money just to be told it is normal healing. Here is a picture I took this morning

Attachments

Dianne's Maine Coons

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi.
I have recently had one of my males neutered. He also had a crusty area for a while and a little bit of swelling.
My vet examined him 7 days post op and wasn't overly concerned.
He said to keep an eye on him and if the swelling got worse to take him back for another examination.
that was 3 weeks ago now and he is absolutely fine.
The picture doesn't look bad. There is no weeping or swelling that I can see.
I would wait a while before seeing your vet but obviously if things get worse, he develops a temperature or goes off his food then book him in.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can't see any swelling or redness. Have you seen any weeping in the area that has the crusty bits? Can you send the photo to your vets to get his opinion, he should be able to advise you and put your mind at rest.