6 Week, Unexpected Kitten.

ThrenodyPlum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there, I just got this little guy from my friend's friend's ranch. I guess the guy who has the land has feral cats all around the property. He neither feeds or TNRs them, so there are many kittens with kittens. My friend took his daughter over there ( shes 22, stable job, lives on her own etc) and she, also being my friend brought 4 neglected kittens (mom was not caring for them anymore) home.

She took 2 of the sicker ones, I took one and her dad took one. I wasn't expecting to take one until the day before so it was very sudden. We honestly dont know how old they are but they very willingly ate wet, dry, and KMR stage 2. Doing my best over here and he seems to be doing really good.

My first cat, as well as my dog are being very tolerant of the kitten so that's great no problems with introductions. (Dog is 4lbs pom and cat 10lbs DSH, both fixed males) Just have never cared for such a small kitten. Was covered in fleas which I've gotten rid of mostly with Dawn and a flea comb.

I play with him when I get up in the morning and right when I get home. When he gets tired I hold him as he sleeps. At night, for now, I set up a litter box (which he uses) and blankets in the bath tub on opposite sides with a cardboard box for a little safe feeling. I also put a water dish and a dish of Merrick's kitten dry food in there. In the morning I mix KMR stage 2 with Merricks kitten food pate, and again when I get home from work. I also leave him in the tub while Im at work. I worry about him getting into trouble while not supervised.

Again any advice would be more than welcome again I'm just doing my best. I also bought some Panacur I want to sprinkle into the KMR mix but havent yet. Thoughts?

The pictures included are of everyone in the same room, a picture of the tiny man following Scooter onto the cat tree and on of them both looking at me lol

kats2.jpg kats.jpg kats3.jpg

Thank you for your time, hopefully I find some good advice on here!!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

ThrenodyPlum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here are some close up pictures I just took

20170701_215303.jpg 20170701_215953.jpg 20170701_215956.jpg 20170701_215958.jpg

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think you are really doing very nicely! Yeah, defleasing and deworming is necessary. Panacur should be OK. Good you try to kittensafe as well as you can.
Normally we dont necessarily recommend kmr stage II - some kittens has problems with it. but if yours is OK, proceed with it. If he isnt oK with it, use the normal stage I or goats milk.

As he is already friends with your residents, you dont need an extra pal.

But your friends dad will perhaps want to get a pal to his kitten.

A little question. Your friend, does she works in a stable with horses, or you mean, she has a job earning money every month?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ThrenodyPlum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for replying!!

In regards to the kmr he seems to be okay. Solid stool and he eats very eagerly, especially if I use warm water to make it.

The dad does have 2 cats I believe, They're very much cat people and very lovely people in general!

I was a little worried about my older cat as I just adopted him not too long ago. I've wanted a cat and while at first I wanted a kitten I decided to go with an older one. Especially since Scooter was so sweet. I guess life decided I can have my cake and eat it too. The shelter had said he had a friend before they got adopted and he was in a large playroom with other cats so I wasn't super worried he would be very bothered, just I want to be as fair to him as possible. He seems interested in the kitten as of right now but not overly. Very proud of him!

The friend just works a good job and has steady income, I just didn't want anyone to worry that she took two sicker kittens. She has other cats that are all vaccinated and very healthy.

About the Panacur, how much do you think I should use? I was figuring just a very small pinch sprinkled in should do, as He's so tiny. I've read it's considered safe for cats and a lot of people use it, and studies were done where the cats were dosed over 5x the recommended dose and they were fine, I just don't want to go overboard. I read to use it for five days every two weeks until 12 weeks old? Does that sound correct?

A couple other questions: Is there anyway to determine the age a little better or do you think it's pretty accurate? Any idea when it will be generally safe to leave him out when no one is home? I also want to get him fixed asap, what age is best to get it done? (I know it's much to early now)

I haven't had a kitten since I was very young and my mom mostly took care of her then, so I'm still learning! I'm glad I seem to be doing mostly the right things, I really appreciate the advice!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What an adorable kitten! :)

As Stefan said, you are doing a great job already!

A pinch of Panacur is fine. It is very safe.

Kittens can be fixed once they reach 2 pounds. I had my kittens fixed at 12 weeks and 3 pounds. Kittens barely miss a beat and return to playing immediately.

Your kitten looks 7-8 weeks old.

You can leave the kitten out to play by about 12 weeks, and when you feel he is bigger and ready, and the rooms are kitten-proofed.

There are many hazards! I found one of my kittens had climbed into a drawer from behind the TV stand and was unable to get out. I had to open the drawer very carefully. I was not aware the drawers could be accessed from behind.