6 kittens from known mom - what could dad have looked like?

hj7990

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!  I adopted 2 sister kittens out of a litter of 6.  The kittens are all medium-length hair and have the coloring:

1.  Black and white

2.  Gray and white

3.  Tortie with tuxedo

4.  Dilute tortie

5.  Calico (orange patches have strong tiger stripes)

6.  Dilute calico

The mother was a sleek, solid black stumpy-tail (none of the kittens were stumpy tailed).  The father is an unknown stray. 

Any ideas on what the father could have looked like to produce these kittens?

Thanks in advance!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Daddy had to be red or cream (and probably some white considering most of the kittens have white) to make tortie/calico girls (girls get one color from each parent). If the black/gray and white kittens are girls they had a different (dark) father than the torties; if they're boys they could have the same dad (boys get their color from mom only). Both parents carried the dilute gene to have dilute kittens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hj7990

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you.  Yes, I forgot to report the genders.  The kittens were all female except for the gray & white one who was the only male.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm. Than either the black and white girl has a different father or she has a tiny red spot somewhere and is secretly a tortie :D.

For fur length, "medium" is kind of tricky. They could just be poofier shorthairs or they could be shorter longhairs. It would be unusual for a shorthaired mother to have all longhaired kittens but could happen I suppose. Long hair is a recessive gene. My guess is that they're just poofier shorthairs though. Any pics?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The tail is often revelaing in such nondescriptive cases.   A bushy tail = medium hair for real, ie a variation in long hair genetically speaking.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hj7990

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you.  Yes, they have lovely bushy tails and their fur is silky soft like a Turkish Angora's.