6-7week Old Kitten On Verge Of Pneumonia

BlakeAndTheCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What do i do until she goes to the vet? I belive my 6-8 week old kitten is getting pneumonia.
Can they even do anything if its not REALLY an infection? Its all clear but shes gettinggetting bloody noses . (It is very , very dry in the house though) . Is there ANY
20181104_224550.jpg
at home care I can do in the meantime aside from steam?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :hithere:
Poor kitten! Why do you think that she has pneumonia? Are you hearing gurgling and other abnormal lung noises? What are your observations regarding her breathing when you look at her flanks? You mentioned bloody noses but clear nasal discharge so it sounds like she does have something respiratory going on.
Hopefully it is something simple like the dry air although kittens are definitely susceptible to upper respiratory infections & I am glad that you are taking her to the vet.
Environmentally, in addition to adding moisture to the air, I would reduce as many nasal/lung irritants as possible, just as you would for an asthmatic. That would mean switching to unscented/fragrance free cat litter and getting rid of chemical irritants such as room fresheners and deodorizers, especially those containing Febreze, and strong cleaning agents, especially those with bleach & scents, especially citrus.
Physically, I would go for immune support for her tiny system. There are supplements such as L-lysine and probiotics that can be beneficial in helping the immune system. You might be able to find a holistic vet to give you guidance on that plus recommendations using herbs such as slippery elm and marshmallow root. I have had good results for nasal congestion using Homeopet Feline Nose Relief in the drinking water, at 10 drops per pint of water, but for a kitten, I would use 5 drops.
I would also look into her water source, making sure that it doesn't have the harsh chemicals found in tap water. If you don't have good well water, then you can use filtered or bottled. I would add extra water into her canned food as well as offer her fresh broth from boiled ground beef or chicken. The fresh boiled meat is good too but make sure to boil it with only safe herbs or a little salt to knock down the cooking smells ( a tiny bit of oregano, thyme, parsley and catnip should do the trick). Definitely give her scruff the "pinch test" to check for dehydration - if you think that she is dehydrated, you can add some unflavored pedialyte diluted 50/50 with water to her diet.
Right now, supporting her immune system is key, whether it is an infection (viral or bacterial), asthma or bronchial irritation, or some other cause.
Please keep us posted on how things are going! She is an adorable little tuxedo...what a doll!!!:lovecat3:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, if it's pneumonia there is a lot they can do. I've been amazed at the advances in vet medicine since I got my first cat. Do not give up hope, pneumonia is curable. It's not always easy, but there is medicine and support.

Everything Catsknowme said and keep her warm.