5 week old kittens eating litter

cookie-Dough

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi My kittens just turned 5 weeks old. They are using the litter box now but they keep eating crystal litter. Their mum doesn't stop them. They have started weaning and are still drinking milk too from mum. They are good weight and very Playful. I've not seen them ingest it and it's they are definitely putting it in their mouth. It's non clumping no scent litter. What should I do

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Remove the litter! This is not healthy! Put down doggie pee pads or newspaper in the boxes until they are a few weeks older.

Also, put down dry kitten chow and direct them to it. They may be hungry. Kittens weaning need lots of food. Do they get offered wet food several times a day?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cookie-Dough

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Remove the litter! This is not healthy! Put down doggie pee pads or newspaper in the boxes until they are a few weeks older.

Also, put down dry kitten chow and direct them to it. They may be hungry. Kittens weaning need lots of food. Do they get offered wet food several times a day?
Yes they have unlimited supply of dry food which they are eating and 4 times get served purina pate and they love it too

VAMama

Cosette's maid
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah there's too much risk they'll swallow some litter. They are learning what is food and what is not food. I'd confine them to newspaper or pee pads until they've watched mama enough to fully understand the litter box.

kittyfostermama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I use the clay litter like Johnny Cat when our fosters are first litterbox training. They inevitably will "test out" a piece or two but it's clay so will break down if they swallow a piece. Once they stop (usually around 7 weeks) I switch to a clumping litter.