3 Pound Angry Demons

Westsidebuffalofeline

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So having fostered cats and owning quite a few street cats over the years. I am in the position where through somebody taking off more than they can chew by taking in 2 feral kittens. They are undernourished and small but probably around 16 weeks old. And of course the vet confirmed FCV, respiratory infections which require a dose a day of medication. I use some heavy duty leather gloves to avoid loosing a gallon of my blood and I know they need this to get them healthy. But it is also not helping their fear of people, especially hands. They are a pair of bonded liter mates so even though 1 is much more accommodating than his sister they feed each others anger. I have them in their own room that I have catified from previous fosters requiring quarantine so I guess I am just looking for advice on other things to help them other than the time I know they need to be comfortable in an indoor space.

Thanks

Moka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
:rock: It is just awesome that you are taking these kittens on! Thanks you! You said they are about 16 weeks old. How old were they when they were rescued from the street and first brought inside? I hate to say it, but if they were just brought in and spent their first 4 months outside without human contact, you have a bit of a challenge ahead of you. Someone here might know better, but I am pretty sure 16 weeks is outside the "golden window" for socializing kittens. That does not mean it is impossible to tame your kittens. It just means it is going to be a lot harder and take longer. Hang in there. This is an amazing community of knowledgeable cat lovers. If you have questions or just need a bit of encouragement, this is the place to be.
:grouphug2:
I have a thought about the kittens and their fear of hands. I know you have to medicate them, but do you use gloves on both hands every time you handle them? Maybe, if you only use those gloves for unpleasant things like giving medication, they will start to associate the gloves as bad. To help make ungloved hands ok, you could sit still on the floor, you hands out flat with tempting treats in them. It will probably take time, but it might even help with socializing them. I did something similar with a cat who was terrified of human hands. It took multiple sessions over a few weeks, but today she is a lot better.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can the medication be given in a small amount of tuna juice, or pressed into bacon bits or a piece of cheese? It is really hard to calm them down when forcing them tyo submit to you. Pill pockets for cats works really well for giving medications, I even tear tiny pieces off and use it to 'cement' broken pills to pieces of bacon and hot dogs. for liquid meds, picking their front legs off the ground by the loose skin on the back of the neck instinctively quiets them and it can easily be given into the cheek. A vet showed me this method with a cat that was impossible to give meds to. I just hope the meds end soon so you can start on the serious taming of them. don't give up, and bless you for caring for them!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:clapcat: Thank you for taking on those kittens!! Are the medications only for an empty stomach? I administer Biomox and Zydaclin in canned food. At times, I use Di and Bob's suggestion of tuna juice - I thin the canned cat food out with that. For FCV, with my vet's approval, I use slippery elm, marshmallow root, licorice root, elderberry and L-lysine as part of their regimen; I make sure to give herbal medicine at least 4 hours apart from their antibiotics. I also use Homeopet Feline Nose Relief by adding 10 drops in a pint of good well water (I would use filtered or bottled water instead of tap).
For socializing older kittens, the Cat Dancer toy (often recommended here on TCS) has been an awesome tool for me. They are fascinated by the action of the thin wire & the small bit of cardboard on the end. And the price is right!! I had to buy more for our resident cats - it is as popular as a laser but doesn't get them overstimulated plus it doesn't need batteries.

Prayers & vibes that the kittens make a speedy recovery. :vibes::vibes::vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Westsidebuffalofeline

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Awesome advice from all of you, they were about 12 weeks old when they were brought inside. I do sit in the “cat room” as much as I can. I work from home a lot so I will set up a laptop and sit on the floor and work. I play a lot of classical music and I have a colored ceiling light for night time.
They have been on meds for 7 days now so not much longer. They won’t engage in play with me but the kitty cam does show them playing at night. I had houseguests over the weekend so I slept in the kitty room on an air mattress and they actually seemed curious and hopped up on it while I was sleeping to sniff and watch me. I love the cat dancer but so par they are too timid to engage with it.
I know it’s just going to be a really slow process.
Thank you all!

Westsidebuffalofeline

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
1 step forward 5 steps back! Lol.
They are now off the meds and eating like there is no tomorrow. I can even put a little food down on the floor in front of them and they will eat in front of me! But hands are a still an issue. I am going to put up . a screen door to the room that they are in so that they can observe life in the house without getting lost in it. The room they are in is supposed to be their home base. opefully they will feel safe in it.

judah

Country catatude
Kitten
Purraise
So having fostered cats and owning quite a few street cats over the years. I am in the position where through somebody taking off more than they can chew by taking in 2 feral kittens. They are undernourished and small but probably around 16 weeks old. And of course the vet confirmed FCV, respiratory infections which require a dose a day of medication. I use some heavy duty leather gloves to avoid loosing a gallon of my blood and I know they need this to get them healthy. But it is also not helping their fear of people, especially hands. They are a pair of bonded liter mates so even though 1 is much more accommodating than his sister they feed each others anger. I have them in their own room that I have catified from previous fosters requiring quarantine so I guess I am just looking for advice on other things to help them other than the time I know they need to be comfortable in an indoor space.

Thanks
Judah and my golden like instrumental music as I do now and they calm down sweetly to it. Classical and soft hymes.

Westsidebuffalofeline

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just an update. So the twins as we refer to them have been in their room with a screen on the door so that they can get used to the sounds and sights of the house while staying in a place they are comfortable in. Archie the female has come out and shown interest in playtime, while not engaging just yet at least she is out of the cat condo. And both of them have come to the screen to sniff the resident house cats who are interested in them. And they do not run and hide when we walk by the room. Baby steps!