2 week old kitten questions

Calicoandkitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! So this is my first time posting here but I’ve always come here for my cat questions. I found a newly 2 week old kitten on Saturday 10/14. We left him for the night to see if the mom would return and she did not. He is now in a box in our basement with a heating pad and we’ve been feeding him powdered kmr about every 2-3 hours. He will pee like crazy when stimulated but will not poop. He had some yellowish liquid poop come out but nothing solid. I’ve tried the triangle method with no luck. The vet said this can be normal and he will eventually but I’m worried. Also, I have a 5 year old calico. She is very sweet and I was wondering when I could introduce them? Should the baby go to the vet first? And also, is canned kmr better than powdered for pooping? I’m so new at this and took a week off work this week to care for this baby so any tips are appreciated! Thank you!

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think others can tell you more about the bottle-feeding/pooping aspect. Personally, I wouldn't be super worried as baby is eating a liquid diet right now. Wanted to weigh in on your second question... Don't introduce to your cat until the baby has been seen by a vet and cleared of any potential transmissible things such as worms, viruses, etc. Most "street" kittens seem to have something! I'd be wary until you know more. Is your cat up-to-date on her vaccinations?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi! So this is my first time posting here but I’ve always come here for my cat questions. I found a newly 2 week old kitten on Saturday 10/14. We left him for the night to see if the mom would return and she did not. He is now in a box in our basement with a heating pad and we’ve been feeding him powdered kmr about every 2-3 hours. He will pee like crazy when stimulated but will not poop. He had some yellowish liquid poop come out but nothing solid. I’ve tried the triangle method with no luck. The vet said this can be normal and he will eventually but I’m worried. Also, I have a 5 year old calico. She is very sweet and I was wondering when I could introduce them? Should the baby go to the vet first? And also, is canned kmr better than powdered for pooping? I’m so new at this and took a week off work this week to care for this baby so any tips are appreciated! Thank you!
Natural poop of kitten is rather loose, they usually describe it as tooth paste consistency... Its almost never solid, and if solid, it hints constipation.
Yours KITTEN is apparently well "fluided" - which is good, much better than dried out... (sorry for my uneven english)

PetAg has good reputation, but their powder kmr is better and more reliable than their in ready to use solution. However, the ready made is sold in cheap cans, so its a good compromise to have a can home, IF... But when you get a kitten whom does need kmr, you can buy a better kmr, ie the powdered one.

Goats milk is also a good alternative. Not better than PetAgs kmr in powder, but useful.

Yes, its better the baby gets a check up... We dont know why it become an orphan. If momma got run over, he should be healthy, but if she died from some disease, you dont want to risk your resident...
BUT it also depends on: if your resident is an rescued ex homeless - she should have the immune system high above average, because she did survived.

Next step is a healthy, fully vaccinated cat whom is allowd to go outside.... This is too a fairly safe bet

An unvaccinated, perhaps a little sickly cat - big nono...

Do you weight the kitten? How many grammes does it adds every day? 10+ grammes is a good raise, 6+ is a daily minimum...

Tx for helping this little one!!!

Last edited:

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
2 week old kittens are very fragile. She could accidently crush the kit or kill it. That age is very tricky to raise and can quickly crash so please keep in touch with the vet often. I would wait until 4 or 5 weeks at the earliest to introduce kit to the adult. You can get started on scent/site swapping though. Just wouldn't do physical contact with that age.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Calicoandkitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you everyone for your responses! I greatly appreciate it. I’ve been trying pretty much all day to get a poop but nothing. The original yellow colored one was on the T-shirt that was in the box, I’m assuming it was poop because he has peed on the other towels/tshirts and few times and it never stains. That was yesterday (Monday 10/16) around 11am and I have not seen any evidence of poop yet. Is this okay? His stomach is pretty big and I’ve never handled a kitty this tiny before so I’m nervous.