2 New Cats Adjusting To Original 3

wibblywobbly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i have a 7yo male, 7yo female, and 6yo male cats. a month ago I added 4 & 7yo females. i kept them strictly separate for the first several weeks. New kitties downstairs, original kitties up. After a few weeks I started leaving the door open and letting the new kitties have the choice to venture upstairs to explore if they chose to. Seemed to go fine, there might be an occasional hiss or growl but they'd keep their distance from the original cats, and not want to stay up long before retreating to their familiar area. For the last week or so i've transitioned them to having full access to whichever part of the house they like. Its seemed mostly fine. No secret that the two groups of cats aren't thrilled with eachother. Happily keep their distance most the time and we can avoid squabbles pretty well. just this evening have had all 5 cats in the living room relaxing in reasonably close proximity able to be calm and happy.

But there's one major exception to this tolerance they seem to have. My bedroom seems to be coveted territory. there was one night i had the new girls under my bed and my younger boy on my bed and just figured, eh, it'll be fine and tried to go to bed. all hell broke loose as soon as my boy jumped down from my bed. Learned my lesson that they need to absolutely be separate at night. Last night as I got ready for bed I snatched up my boy and headed to my room to toss him in there to be sure i had him in there safe and separated, as the girls were out in the living room. The girls bolted into my room as soon as I opened the door which I didn't notice until I let my boy down and started a war. it does seem to be the new girls who are first to attack.

So it seems where we stand now is, they can grudgingly tolerate eachother's existence, most the time. Could it be that they accept most the house as common areas but the girls in particular see my room as their turf and their turf alone? Any tips? because my younger boy really likes to sleep on my bed. i feel bad for him being pushed away. i've been sending the girls downstairs at night to keep the peace.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Here's the thing...your bedroom is the place that smells the most like YOU, and is therefore PRIME REAL ESTATE in your cats' world. This is going to be the LAST place where peaceful coexistence rules. Here's something to try...swap nights. Old cats in one night, new ones the next. This means closing your door, but the idea is to get all of the cats' scents mixed together with yours on your bed.