2 cats? Please help me =(

oddyball

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello cat lovers,

I need some help.

[Story]

I have multiple cats, all from the same litter. I used to have a black and white cat named Sylvester. He had a little white mustache, and white paws. Also, he had a white spot on his chest and a white, tiny, tiny white spot of hairs on his upper nose. Well my older cat Tommy used to fight with him, and they got in a big scuffle one night and Sylvester stopped coming home. He would venture off for a few weeks, and return out of the blue and leave again. This persisted for around 3-4 months. Well one night it rained really hard and he came out after he had been gone for about 2 months. After that night, he disappeared. It has been roughly 3 months now since he has been home.

Well our dog had to be put to sleep a few days ago, so when we took her down to the pound, we decided to see if Sylvester had been found. We had checked before, but no luck. To our surprise we found a cat that looked EXACTLY like him (or so we thought). We were so excited; we checked him over and took him home (this was 2 days ago). Last night was his first night home. Me and my sister were calling him Sylvester, and playing with him, but he didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t take too well to his brothers at all. He would hide, and they would hiss. We thought this might be because he had been gone a long time and they didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t recognize his scent or something.

After a while, we started to be suspicious that we took the wrong cat. For one, he was found about 3 miles away from where we live. That would have meant he would have had to cross a valley of bluffs to get where they found him. Well after considering that, we took out an old photo of Sylvester, taken in his prime (he is less than a year in the photo) and compared the two cats.

Well... both cats have a mustache. But the new catsâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji] mustache on his upper lip is only on the right side, which is identical to Sylvesterâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s, but Sylvester had a tiny patch of white on his left too. I kind of thougt he might have grown out of it. Next we examined the white paws. This cats left paw has about 2 inches or so of white on his left arm. Sylvester (from the photo) had about an inch. It's noticeable.

I'm not sure if catsâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji] markings can grow or disappear. His mustache is a tad different, and so are his paws. But... he always had a white patch of hair on his nose... and this cat has it too. Just like I remember it. He has gained weight, but he was getting bigger before he left, he was a very lazy cat.

[/story]

So, what I need to know from some experts here is whether a cat can have changed markings as it grows. The resemblance is uncanny. His eyes, just the way he looks at me reminds me of Sylvester.

Here is a picture of Sylvester when he was less than a year old

And here is the new cat, or old one I hope

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Unsure about how to answer the color change question. In my experience they only change as they grow from kitten hood to adulthood, not usually after.

If this is not Sylvester would you love him any less? Living on your own outside is traumatic for any cat, I would just accept this cat as fate has led you to him.

You can use vanilla extract and put some on each of your cats to make their scents neutral. Put it on under their chins, between their shoulder blades and the base of their tails. Do this several times a day.

Maybe this is not Sylvester, but something has brought you and this cat together, and although the cats are hissing at each other (which is normal) it doesn't sound like any bloodshed has occurred.

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

If this is not Sylvester would you love him any less? Living on your own outside is traumatic for any cat, I would just accept this cat as fate has led you to him.
Originally Posted by hissy

Maybe this is not Sylvester, but something has brought you and this cat together, and although the cats are hissing at each other (which is normal) it doesn't sound like any bloodshed has occurred.
I couldnt of said it better myself - I cant comment on the markings - but if this isnt him then fate has intervened...
and maybe it is him - probably only time will tell once he has settled down

they really do look familar though