1st Hare Today Order Thoughts/Opinions Welcome!!

abby2932

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi!

So my 8 year old and 3 year old have been doing great with Rad Cat Chicken and Turkey for their breakfast meals. I'm going to start transitioning their dinner from canned to ground raw and am placing my first order from Hare Today next week and would like opinions on my meal plan before I order!

BREAKFAST

Rad Cat Rotation

- Chicken 

- Turkey 

- Lamb (if they like this one, I haven't tried yet)

DINNER

Hare Today w/ Alnutrin for Meat, Bones and Organs Rotation

- Ground Whole Rabbit without fur

- Ground Beef (80% Meat, 7% Tripe, 7% Organs [heart, liver lung and kidney] and 6% Bone)

- Ground Whole Duck 

- The ground whole duck will be a mix of 3lb ground duck and 1lb ground chicken organs* to cut down the bone content

* The chicken organs consist of 1/3 heart, 1/3 liver and 1/3 gizzard

SUPPLEMENTS

- Daily Probiotic

- 250mg of Krill Oil for each cat with their daily dinner (only 250mg since the Rad Cat includes Fish Oil)

- Tuesdays - 1/2 Egg Yolk for each cat

- Wednesdays - 1 Sardine (canned in water, no salt added)

- Thursdays - 1/2 Egg Yolk for each cat

Would anyone add/eliminate/change anything about this rotation?

Do you think the cats would be getting the correct amount of meat/bone/organ ratio with this plan?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to look this over!

-Abby

Last edited:

roguethecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
yay! congrats!

the duck might be on the greasy side. Now this would only matter if you are looking for anyone to loose weight.

Also, with all enthusiasm, your kitties might not care for anything you order 
 so all plans depend on them liking the stuff 

About the meat/organ/bone ratio, again plans are nice but it depends on what they are willing to eat. So best thing would be to watch their poop and add more bone if it's too soft, more organs if it's too hard.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abby2932

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ahhh you're right! I should have included "If they accept the meal plan" 

I'm just thinking (hoping!?) that they eat what I order because they aren't normally very finicky about food. When I switched them from kibble to scheduled grain-free canned meals 3 years ago (Malibu was 5, Kali was still a baby) it was easy! And switching their breakfast to raw a month ago was easy again! But I suppose they may very well make a fool of me and have me waste money on meats they won't eat 

I don't think either of the kitties need to lose weight necessarily but I would not want them to gain  weight either. I was hoping the ground rabbit (being so lean) and the fatty duck would cancel each other out and have the diet be just right, maybe? 

Thank you for responding and sharing your thoughts and suggestions! 

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sounds good to me.  I used to do the same thing when I served ground fowl from Hare Today (added in ground organ meat to tone down the bone
)

I think serving lean rabbit and fatty duck makes sense.  Hopefully they'll like it ALL. 

abby2932

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, I got the idea of adding organs to cut down bone from you! (reading your posts)

:)

Thank you for your input and well wishes!

harrylime

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I actually "cut" the meat with boneless meat even more, especially for rabbit which is particularly boney. For example, if I am doing chicken, I'll do 8lbs Hare Today ground chicken with bones, 1lb extra chicken organs, 1lb ground boneless chicken. Tamago seems to be doing well on it.

abby2932

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi, thanks for replying! 

I'm pretty scared of not giving enough calcium (I read somewhere something about rubber jaw 
) so I'm probably going to leave the rabbit alone unless I see that one of them seems constipated. In that case, I will absolutely add some boneless meat to it. I'm just cutting down the duck a bit because I read that poultry is more "boney" than rabbit! And then the beef that will also be on rotation (again, in the event that the cats like these 3 proteins) is only 6% bone, so I'm thinking that may even out the rabbit.

Is your kitten a Scottish Fold? SO FREAKING CUTE!

abby2932

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to post a quick update as I just got my 1st Hare-Today order in. I ordered:
  • 5lbs ground rabbit (with bones and organs)
  • 5lbs ground beef (with bone, tripe and organs)
  • 5lbs ground cavies (with bones and organs)
    • I was planning on getting the duck instead of the cavies but I changed my mind last minute. However, going forward, it will be duck (that is, if they eat it)
  • Alnutrin supplement for meat, bones and organs (Alnutrin without calcium)
I just want to mention that I am completely impressed with how wonderful the packaging was from Hare-Today. I was half expecting things to be melt-y and leak-y but ground shipping was only 2 days to get to me and everything was completely frozen and packaged with care. Very impressed!

I will be starting a whole new thread on updates about my cat's raw food journey but I just wanted to post this here first, just as a follow up!

I have some rabbit in the fridge defrosting so I can supplement and refreeze and will start introducing it on Sunday so I hope they love it!!

roguethecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
good luck with that!

my crowd disliked the ground cavies (!)... luckily I marked the batch and am slowly mixing some if it in whenever I make a new one (with coaxing they will eat whole cavies, though they aren't wild about it).

have fun!

abby2932

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ah shoot! do you think your kitties didn't like it because of the fur? I was worried about the fur! ahhh oh well, hopefully they will eat it....if not, I suppose I can do what you're doing and sneak a bit in with other meat so they don't notice!

Thanks! :)

roguethecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
nah, they ate the whole (unground) critter that I cut up for them, fur and all. That was under duress, though - I didn't give them anything else and left for work, and when I came back everything except those huge teeth was gone.

They also didn't like the ground mice but happily snarf up whole ones. My sister came over the other day, took a look into my chest freezer and nearly freaked 
, now she tells me the cats are getting sick from eating bad mice (no way are the mice sick, not with what I've paid for them). Ah well. 

What I've found is the Rogue always likes chicken, so whatever he dislikes can be hidden in ground chicken.