18 Year Old Cat -- Distress

mo-cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We are new to the board, and hope we're asking for help in the right area. If not, can someone please point us to the appropriate forum.

We have an 18 year old cat that we adopted at the beginning of this year. She seemed to be quite happy and content earlier this evening, then started hyperventilating, and drooling. At one point she had a seizure that we thought was her last, paws all over the place, lots of caughing, etc. We thought she may have had a hairball stuck in her throat; I did the cat equivalent of a Heimlich maneuver on her, but nothing came up. Her temperature seems to be going lower, and her breathing is quite shallow. We've tried to comfort her by keeping her clean, wiping her with damp wash cloths, giving her a comfortable bed to lie in, etc. and she seems to be more alert now than she was earlier. We've gotten her to drink some water and that seems to help calm her and make her breathing easier.

We're not in a place where we can get her to a vet. tonight, and our finances are very, very tight, so even taking her to a vet. tomorrow is problematical, especially for a cat of this age.

From what we've described, do any of you have any thoughts on what may be wrong with her, or any suggestions of things we can do for her to make her last few days/weeks/months/years more comfortable?

Thanks for any suggestions you may have.
Maureen

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A vet visit is advisible- at this advanced age you have lots of things going on, internal organs are breaking down, the heart is getting weaker, blood pressure plummets. This cat needs a vet to check her out and see if she swallowed something and it got stuck in her throat or it could be something, anything else.

Most vets are good about payment plans etc.. And although it is commendable that you adopted such a senior cat, that adoption comes with the responsibility of providing vet care if the need arises.

cs_hopper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry about your cat being sick. How nice of you to adopt a senior. I guess you know that 18 is very old for a cat (mine was 18 1/2 when i finally had to put him to rest as he was greatly suffering). I'm sorry i can't give any advice other than to get the little guy to a vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mo-cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks to both of you for your thoughtful replies. Unfortunately, she passed over that same evening, so I guess the seizures we observed was her spirit leaving her body. She's resting in peace now, after having a good last 6 months with a loving family.

We're now left with just one cat, a 14 year old female that we've had for 13 1/2 years. She and our adopted cat really didn't relate very well, so we're now paying lots of attention to her, making her feel like she's the most important Princess in the world.

Thanks again.
Maureen

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maureen,
I am so sorry, this is the first time I read this post. It is very comendable that you adopted an older cat and at least her last months were spent with a real family who loved her.
RIP sweet kitty.

becky's domino

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Maureen, so sorry to hear you lost her. I certainly know how you feel, and about giving extra attention to your surviving cat (I'm doing the same thing now with 3-yr-old Socrates after losing Domino). Bless you for taking in an older cat - that's a sign of a big, kind, generous heart! My sympathies,
Becky

tulip2454

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am very sorry to learn about the loss of your cat. 18 is a good age and you were so kind to adopt a senior. That she passed on surrounded by her family and knowing she was loved and will be missed is the best.
You are in my thoughts
Alexis

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Moving this to Crossing the Bridge- thank you for giving this cat love so late in her life.

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maureen, I am just now reading this. How very wonderful of you to adopt a senior kitty. You gave her the love she so deserved for the last six months of her life. I am sorry you lost her so soon.

greycat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry.

May your sweetheart RIP.

18 years is a wonderful age and even though time with her was short you memories of her will not be short and hers of you. You gave her a wonderful home for her remaining life here on Earth and she'll be waiting for you to be with her.