10 Reasons Cat's Don't Like Going To The Vet's!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Cute! Mogli actually likes to go to the vets' office, and they're amazed about how relaxed he is. It's a far cry from Jamie, "the cat from hell", as he was called there. The only thing Mogli doesn't like is reason #1, but I've noticed that he now quiets down if I turn right on to Main Street (in the direction of the vets' office) and not left (in the direction of the shelter where he's boarded). He must have the routes memorized!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My RB kitty Chynna loved going to the vet's too!  I had a hard time getting her into the carrier, but once at the Vet's she was amazing.  She was a pure white cat with green eyes. Her face was small and her nose from the side had a bit of a curl up.  Everyone at the Vet's were crazy about her. When she was there, everyone there came to see her and get cuddles and nose kisses from her. She loved everyone.  When they did her blood pressure or exam, she just laid there nice and calm. She would old paw/hands with the vet tech or the doctor, and give kisses.

I can't say that my current 3 enjoy the vet. It's hard to get them into carriers. They all scream or "sing the song of their people!!!!"  from start to finish.  And poor Spencer tries to hide in the sink at the Vet's office.  We've taken to leaving the lid of the carrier loosely on so that he can go in and hide if he wants.

irinasak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Two of my three hate going to the vet, the third hates the car ride.

I can get Sophie in her carrier, but she makes this cry like the world is falling apart and you are to blame and humans are evil and she is a poor, poor soul. At the vet, she turns into this jelly with no bones and it very hard for the vet to handle her, as she pours like liquid from his hands.

In order to get Amelie in her carrier, I have to close the door, then move the bed (where she's hiding under), then move the closet, then maybe have a little luck and catch her and force her in. At the vet, she freezes and we have to handle her as fast as we can because we are afraid she will have a heart attack because of fear. No clicker training or positive reinforcement worked for her.

Harley goes willingly into his carrier, as long as I throw some food in. In the car he is singing, or better put, he is yelling the song of his people. At the vet he would gladly inspect everything and play with medical instruments. On the way home, he yells even louder.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I don't know about the cats but I hate going to the vets because;

1. I always have to get up very early in the morning to get there. I work nights and I'm really not a morning person.

2. When I get to the vets there will always be someone with a cute little puppy with bows in her ears or someone with a cat that is so well behaved the owner can sit there with him or her on their lap while they wait to see the vet. I'm always there with a carrier full of feline fury going MWAAAAAAHHH! Everyone gives me sympathetic smiles and nods, but I know what they're really thinking.

3. The most common reason for going to the vet it's because I've got either kittens or a sick cat with diarrhea. I always get pooped on. 

4. When I get home which ever cat I've had to take to the vet shoots out of the carrier and hides in the back of the closet. I spend the rest of the day apologising and trying to make amends with treats, while they give me the death stare.

5. The rest of the cats all know where we've been and avoid me for the rest of the day in case I try and take them to the vet too. I don't get any purrs or head bumps or snuggles until they've forgotten about it.

The only good part about it is that my vet is a really sweet, patient guy. I'm sure his heart must sink when he sees me in his waiting room though.

Last edited: