1 week old kittens - Stray mom, kitten breathng rapidly and twitching

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
IF the weak one proceeds to recover; now when dehydration and consitpation is gone, you will want to give again real food.
As easily digestible as you can make it. And begin with small portions but often.

Can you get goats milk? Preferably raw goats milk.

Because pedialyte they can survive on it a couple of days, no problem, especielly if you add extra glucose sugar. But there are no other nutrients in there, so he wont grow on it... Doesnt work long range feeding.

So, IF and when the crisis is over, start feeding again, step by step.

N nels.mika

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nels.mika

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
IF the weak one proceeds to recover; now when dehydration and consitpation is gone, you will want to give again real food.
As easily digestible as you can make it. And begin with small portions but often.

Can you get goats milk? Preferably raw goats milk.

Because pedialyte they can survive on it a couple of days, no problem, especielly if you add extra glucose sugar. But there are no other nutrients in there, so he wont grow on it... Doesnt work long range feeding.

So, IF and when the crisis is over, start feeding again, step by step.

N nels.mika
Will do! Going to the vet in about 30 mins. Will post an update.

nels.mika

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
T
Its certainly fully possible they are somewhat older but much undernourished.

Re the pedialyte instead of kmr or food. Its no remedy for all, although it works sometimes.

The main thing, with a dying kitten (or human) the digestion system stops working. So it helps no longer to feed them, the food just stays inside and rottens. So the only that works is pedialyte and sugar water. Easier to take yes, but also, the sugars are taken directly into the blood, without needing to be digested.
So it buys time at best, and they dont need to have the rottening food inside if the worst happens...

Here, Im very glad to hear he is better. This gives even some hope for survival...

Im not sure how to interpret he is peeing and pooing by himself... Its good the system works after all... But also, its a sign he is much sick. Severly sick humans are too often soiling themselves no?
So, I think its somewhat positive after all.

Just to fight on!:
Let him be warm, comfortable, have these fluids as much he takes, you do massage him with your forefinger, you do pray...

If prayers helps the sick one may be discussed, but praying helps YOU to endure, to find the strengh and patience....
You are so sweet and kind, thank you! ❤ I am hoping so much that he will be ok!

nels.mika

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update! Got back from the vet, they didn't even charge us for the visit 😁 They said they are not dehydrated, and that they might have a uri but if they do they are fighting it off really well. Since they have no discharge and minimal sneezing, no more clicking, She said it's more likely they are just eating too fast and that we should take care to let them suckle for a few seconds and take it away so they have a really good chance to breath, swallow and not get too much in their mouths. We are going to use another nipple and make a smaller hole as well. The smaller one she said is also likely just a calmer, more relaxed personality, which we took as the beginnings of lethargy.

About the pooing and peeing she said its unusual but not a bad thing they are going potty by themselves. She also said that switching from mommas milk to formula can cause hard poos like that and since they aren't dehydrated, it's not an issue. She recommended 1ml pedialyte by its self every 2 feedings or so just to make sure they don't get too solid and hard to pass.

So they are doing great actually! She said we are doing excellent and they are very healthy and that they should have no trouble surviving!! So happy!! 😍

nels.mika

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What a fantastic update, thank you! I'm so glad to hear you're having such wonderful success!!
It's all because of the wonderful people here so dedicated to helping others and their fur babies! Thank all of you so much, never could have done it without y'all! I'm so so happy they are okay 🤩

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That was a really nice update! Re the crisis the runt had; yeah, it was probably the constipation. I have heard earlier a constipation could give severe symptoms, literally dying, who went away as soon the pooing began... Im happy the pedialyte did helped. Not necessary in this way I thought, but it helped in another way.... Tx God and the saint Honey.

I want to notice extra this vet. Whom not only didnt take any payment, and is very friendly person, but apparently is experienced and good with small kittens, and gave you many good advices. Not all vets are good with small weakish kittens!

I hope you can encourage this vet in some way. Please send her my greetings, if nothing else.
Tell her if she plays bridge and needs an online partner, or online advices, I will gladely help her out. Alternatively, if she doesnt need such services, she can let someone else she holds dear, get this privilege instead of her.
Im Tola18 on BridgeBaseOnLine.

nels.mika

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was thinking the same as stefanz - this vet is marvelous!
I agree she was so wonderful and sweet! It was astonishingly kind of her to do that for us. She gave a laugh and winked and said "everyone was happy to see kittens and we know coronavirus has messed a lot of stuff up so it's free of charge today" I was pretty flabbergasted haha. I did tell her thank you about 10 times I was so relieved and grateful for her generosity and knowledge.

I'll definitely be leaving a review! I'll send her your regards 😊 I'm sure she will be tickled to hear it!

Also an equally big THANK YOU!! To every single one of you! I know the journey isn't even close to over, but I feel 10x better about this now than I did when I first got them because of you guys. This is hard, intimidating stuff! I'm so eternally grateful

nels.mika

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys! So everything is going great with them, just one thing I thought I'd ask since my vet is closed in sundays.

A couple of the kittens have started to have a little bit of blood on their anuses. There is no blood in the poo and they have healthy poos. Is this cause for serious concern? I attributed it to constipation but they haven't really been constipated anymore. Not sure what's going on! they are very playful, getting really fast, climbing, curious, etc. All the signs of healthy kittens otherwise.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That is not normal. Are their bottoms raw or chapped? Are you giving glycerin or stimulating them? If so, it may be causing irritation.

Apply coconut oil and see if that helps. Definitely ask the vet about this tomorrow!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with Sarthur2 Sarthur2 to apply a thin coat of coconut oil. Is everything around them fragrance free? I do not use baby wipes on tinies, not even unscented ones - I use only cotton pads with clean water or soft wash cloths that I bleach & rinse twice. If the coconut oil alone doesn't work, try a gentle cleanse of warm baking soda water or weak vinegar water then gently pat dry and apply the thin layer of coconut oil or clear triple antibiotic ointment (neosporin) or A&D ointment.
Are you adding anything to their formula? If so, use olive oil and not mineral oil. If they get gassy, you can add a drop or two of infant simethecone drops (aka GasX). Playing is a great sign and you are doing an excellent job!

nels.mika

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We are adding olive oil to the bottle, a drop or 2. If I have no coconut oil should I just apply a bit of neosporin, or cleanse first? Also using washcloths, Iwill try cotton pads or balls for the softer texture.

Everything is fragrance free, other than the detergent we use for the washing machine. No softener or dryer sheets.

nels.mika

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok thank you!

As for mamma kitty: I'm not really sure where she's at, someone I live with said they maybe saw her not too long ago but wasn't sure. The animal shelter that does free trap and spay/neuter also is unavailable to help us with that right now. There is still food outside for her.