Simba now lives in the kitchen

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I lost my 14 year old mostly feral girl Willow a week ago. She woke from a nap very ill and she died within minutes of arriving at the emergency vet. Shocking to lose her so suddenly but now I am feeling blessed for both of us that she didn’t have to go thru terrifying vet visits or procedures and that I didn’t have to make a decision about prolonging her life or not.
I am so sorry for your loss...

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
You can come into the kitchen from the living room and also the dining room, so 2 ways. But he can watch both ways from where he is.
Makes sense,it's where he'd feel most comfortable - now he has to rely on his sight mainly(or solely),to be aware of his surroundings ......

It's amazing how at his age he has adapted so well to hearing loss,I've seen humans that can't handle it and they know what's happening! Such a good ole kitty- but he's got a great Mom and Dad❤

I believe it's safe to say thsts the reason he's chosen this new area

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I lost my 14 year old mostly feral girl Willow a week ago. She woke from a nap very ill and she died within minutes of arriving at the emergency vet. Shocking to lose her so suddenly but now I am feeling blessed for both of us that she didn’t have to go thru terrifying vet visits or procedures and that I didn’t have to make a decision about prolonging her life or not.
I didn't know- susanm9006 susanm9006 I'm very sorry for your loss

RIP darling Willow:angelcat:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
There's not much they would do for him at 21 years old, plus he'd have a heart attack if we tried to catch him, or he'd break something bouncing around in the carrier, we had to have a woman come in years ago to trap him so we could get his teeth worked on and it was horrible, she said "I hope I never have to do that again", he gets that crazy. It's from his old age, his hearing loss.
Oh, ok, just as long as it's not affecting him much.

I lost my 14 year old mostly feral girl Willow a week ago.
So sorry to hear this :alright: :hugs:

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the replies. We both had suspected that his hearing was bad, but when I was walking behind him the other day and he didn't look at me or turn around, even when I was calling his name, I thought this might be the problem. I am surprised that he didn't feel the vibrations in the floor, maybe he did but he just ignored it.

I am REALLY trying to get used to him being in there but it gets on my nerves especially if I am in a rush to get ready for work. I am off today, I cleaned some of the filters for our portable air conditioner this morning and I usually wash them under the tub faucet, but I thought it might be easier to use the kitchen sink, so I went in there. Well, he comes out of his "house", he had eaten a few hours before as Deb fed them all, and while I am trying to clean these filters he is yelling at me, a LOT...I told him "I'm busy right now Sims, I'll get to you later", and he somewhat calmed down, eventually went back into his new house, only to come out again and give me another earful lol!! Well, I tried using the sprayer in the sink and let's just say that I cleaned half the kitchen, water was dripping everywhere to my left, he is yelling at me and walking through it, so now my nerves are frayed, although it doesn't take much to do that anymore. So I finish up and clean up and say "now, I'll get you something" so I get him some chicken and put it in a bowl, he eats a little of it and starts yelling at me again, so I get some more chicken even though he still had some in his bowl, and this time put some broth food with it, sometimes he really likes that and sometimes he doesn't. Well, this morning he didn't like it, and started in on me again, so I said "you already ate, I don't know what to give you, you're driving me nuts!!!".

But I know in awhile when I go back in there he'll come out and we'll replay the same old act over again. :jester: :gingercat:

Like Deb says "we'll miss it when it's gone" and she is right. But it sure drives me nuts at times while it's here lol!!!

And I think it really helps him when I go in there and sit on the floor with him and keep him company, it seems to perk him up. And it helps me too somehow...:rbheart:

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the replies. We both had suspected that his hearing was bad, but when I was walking behind him the other day and he didn't look at me or turn around, even when I was calling his name, I thought this might be the problem. I am surprised that he didn't feel the vibrations in the floor, maybe he did but he just ignored it.

I am REALLY trying to get used to him being in there but it gets on my nerves especially if I am in a rush to get ready for work. I am off today, I cleaned some of the filters for our portable air conditioner this morning and I usually wash them under the tub faucet, but I thought it might be easier to use the kitchen sink, so I went in there. Well, he comes out of his "house", he had eaten a few hours before as Deb fed them all, and while I am trying to clean these filters he is yelling at me, a LOT...I told him "I'm busy right now Sims, I'll get to you later", and he somewhat calmed down, eventually went back into his new house, only to come out again and give me another earful lol!! Well, I tried using the sprayer in the sink and let's just say that I cleaned half the kitchen, water was dripping everywhere to my left, he is yelling at me and walking through it, so now my nerves are frayed, although it doesn't take much to do that anymore. So I finish up and clean up and say "now, I'll get you something" so I get him some chicken and put it in a bowl, he eats a little of it and starts yelling at me again, so I get some more chicken even though he still had some in his bowl, and this time put some broth food with it, sometimes he really likes that and sometimes he doesn't. Well, this morning he didn't like it, and started in on me again, so I said "you already ate, I don't know what to give you, you're driving me nuts!!!".

But I know in awhile when I go back in there he'll come out and we'll replay the same old act over again. :jester: :gingercat:

Like Deb says "we'll miss it when it's gone" and she is right. But it sure drives me nuts at times while it's here lol!!!

And I think it really helps him when I go in there and sit on the floor with him and keep him company, it seems to perk him up. And it helps me too somehow...:rbheart:
Aww,Deb is 100% right so think of her wise words every time you get frazzled

I know how annoying it can get when your kitty is conplaining- Sami certainly let's me know when he's bored and wants my attention or to go out someplace( with me of course,lol)---- I have to really check myself and take a different perspective because he's just talking to me the only way he can

It can be unnerving but Oh my God if there were no Sami!😪

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I just got an email response from the woman who netted him many years ago to get him to a vet to have his teeth looked at, and she said she thinks I am right on this is why he stays in the kitchen, she said "he feels safer in a smaller world" and "maybe one day it'll change" and he'll come out again, but she thinks that might be the reason. She also is amazed that he is still here, so are we!!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
she said "he feels safer in a smaller world"
I completely agree with the woman who netted him many years ago. :agree: Carleton is a senior but not as old as Simba and he too has been spending most of his time in one or two places which are both in the family room. I'm sure it's due in part to the fact that's where we spend most of our time when we're home and it's where he feels secure. He is definitely showing signs of aging and slowing down. We've learned after many years and many cats that we can't fix everything and as long as he's eating, using the litter box and comfortable that's what is most important at his age. Simba is lucky to have Deb and you in his life. I hope he enjoys his peace and quiet in the kitchen with you.🤗

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope he enjoys his peace and quiet in the kitchen with you.🤗
It's not quiet too often because he's usually screaming at us to give him food! :jester: :gingercat:

The other day Deb gave him something to eat, this was after he had already eaten. But he kept yelling at her and she said "Simba, it's in your bowl, eat that, you're not getting anything else" and she said he "grumbled" at her, turned around and walked over to the bowl and started eating, like he understood what she said lol!!!