New cat introduction... Weird

Tigger's Mum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I thought so.
Unfortunately I will need to bring her again to the vet because she needs to do a blood test.
I have yet to make the appointment.

However if it is a matter of time, and of course care, it's ok. I was afraid the introduction was going badly.

Is it ok if I keep letting the boys socialize? They're not intrusive, on the contrary very calm.
May I ask why the vet needs to do a blood test? Where I am (UK), the only reason vets do blood tests is if the cat is ill or the owner requests it. It is not done routinely.

No cat likes going to the vet.

NC - does she have a name? She will take a while to settle in. Everything is new and strange to her. Of course, there will be hissing - it's a normal and natural thing cats do until they are accepted by the other cats and vice-versa. As I said in my previous post, the less human interference, the better. We, with our best intentions of not letting the hissing/growling/swatting get out of hand have a tendency to make things much worse. The cat(s) pick up on our feelings, think "If the human is scared, something terrible's going to happen so I'm scared too".

I have been a multi cat household for years, anything up to 13 cats at any one time while I was fostering. The longest I've kept my cats separated from a new cat was 5 days and that was because our last rescue was unneutered and had an injured leg. We caught him on the Saturday evening and by the following Thursday he'd had vet treatment, his leg fixed, was neutered and microchipped. We took him home, sat the cat carrier in the middle of the room to let our other cats have a good sniff for about 30 minutes then opened the carrier door. He (Oscar) came out, got hissed at by Lucky and that was that. A few days later they were all curled up on my bed (or should that be their bed - I'm only allowed to share a small part of it). Oscar and Otto are really good friends and can often be seen grooming each other.

Just relax. The cats will be fine :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chigusa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
At the shelter she was named Odette.
I have yet to choose her new one...

As for the blood test, it appears that her ears inside are a bit yellowish so the vet suspects some icterus and wants to check if her liver is ok.

Tigger's Mum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
At the shelter she was named Odette.
I have yet to choose her new one...

As for the blood test, it appears that her ears inside are a bit yellowish so the vet suspects some icterus and wants to check if her liver is ok.
Odette. What a lovely name. Odette is the heroine in Swan Lake.

I had to look up Ictarus - it's another name for Jaundice. I'm surprised if the vet suspected this that a blood test wasn't done there and then because if there is a problem with the liver, the sooner treatment starts, the better.

If she's not feeling well, that would explain her reluctance to leave her "safe area".

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chigusa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, Swan Lake is one of my favorite ballet pieces :)

The vet wanted to do the blood test, but she probably had some kibbles while I was at work and we weren't sure if she was on an empty stomach or not. Probably not. The vet also said that the yellowish color in the ears is not bright and it might just be her skin.
Actually, it does not seem to me that Odette is unwell. She eats regularly, no diarrhea, she threw up once but there was an hairball involved.

I do hope she is not unwell. She is certainly reluctant to seek contact with her new brothers, although when they do seek her out as long as they keep a respectful distance she does not seem to mind much.

Anyway I'll schedule an appointment for the blood test on Monday.