Vacation

Val622

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We’ve been planning a trip with friends for about a week and I dread leaving my cat. She sleeps with me every night. She doesn’t like strangers but we do have a pet sitter that comes when we’re away for a day or two that she likes. I would have her come at least twice a day when we’re gone. Just wondering how anyone’s cats have done when they were away. She will be two when we go away. I could have my in-laws stay a couple days but I think that would give her more anxiety.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
We’ve been planning a trip with friends for about a week and I dread leaving my cat. She sleeps with me every night. She doesn’t like strangers but we do have a pet sitter that comes when we’re away for a day or two that she likes. I would have her come at least twice a day when we’re gone. Just wondering how anyone’s cats have done when they were away. She will be two when we go away. I could have my in-laws stay a couple days but I think that would give her more anxiety.
Best is to have the sitter come in at least one week ahead of your vacation and once a day and spend time with your cat and also familiarise herself with the cat and cat stuffs and also your cat can get familiar with the sitter rather than the sitter come in after you've left for the vacation and that'll definitely put your cat on a weary mood.

Leave some of your clean unwashed non perfumed garments around the house and on your bed and places your cat rest so that even you are not around, your familiar scents are around which will give your cat peace when you are not around.

Install a wifi camera or two out of the sitter's knowledge (or let the sitter know that you've install a camera so that the sitter will do her job well), so that you can monitor your cat, the sitter and the house. Yiu don't have to get the big ones, small ones will do and some models comes with communication which I don't think would be good if you talk to your cat which can make your cat more anxious.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How does your cat do when you're out of the house at work or running errands? Is she relaxed when you get home or does she seem stressed?
If she has a sitter she likes, I would ask them to come twice a day and maybe see if you could pay them to spend a bit more time with your cat, either playing or petting or just being a presence in the house. You could also ask the sitter to leave some of the calming cat music on Youtube run on your TV or tablet for her when the sitter leaves. If their schedule allows, they might have some free time for an extra visit every few days just to make sure your cat is happy and content.
I don't do in home sitting, but I do have a boarding facility and we will send text photos and updates on request. It's no trouble at all for us, and it's a great way to keep the lines of communication open so you worry less. :)
I would give the pet sitter your in-law's number on the slim chance something would come up with the sitter (emergency, health issues, etc.) so there's a back up plan in place. And make sure they have the name, number, and address of your veterinarian.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I always hate leaving my babies at home too. But it's like a lot of instances in life - you should make the time/space to recharge and get away. I usually get a picture each visit so I sort of know how they are doing. You can plan out some things for your cat while you're gone. Check out this post for some ideas!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Val622

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks. We have had the cat sitter come to
Our house a bunch of times already when we have been for
A short period. Stevie always come running to her and likes her. She’s great. Thanks for all the advice.

Val622

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How does your cat do when you're out of the house at work or running errands? Is she relaxed when you get home or does she seem stressed?
If she has a sitter she likes, I would ask them to come twice a day and maybe see if you could pay them to spend a bit more time with your cat, either playing or petting or just being a presence in the house. You could also ask the sitter to leave some of the calming cat music on Youtube run on your TV or tablet for her when the sitter leaves. If their schedule allows, they might have some free time for an extra visit every few days just to make sure your cat is happy and content.
I don't do in home sitting, but I do have a boarding facility and we will send text photos and updates on request. It's no trouble at all for us, and it's a great way to keep the lines of communication open so you worry less. :)
I would give the pet sitter your in-law's number on the slim chance something would come up with the sitter (emergency, health issues, etc.) so there's a back up plan in place. And make sure they have the name, number, and address of your veterinarian.
Thanks. She does fine when we’re out. No crying or acting anxious. We have cameras in house. I will definitely have the sitter come twice a day. I think
That’s preferable to having someone stay over. She gets anxious when we have overnight guests.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. She does fine when we’re out. No crying or acting anxious. We have cameras in house. I will definitely have the sitter come twice a day. I think
That’s preferable to having someone stay over. She gets anxious when we have overnight guests.
I agree that the sitter coming twice a day is far better than having anyone stay at the house- then she can snuggle with an article of your clothing in bed at night and feel safe in her usual place in a quiet home and no unfamiliar noises to feel anxious

How long will you be away?

Val622

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
About a week. Going to Italy with a several of our best friends. It’s funny we always had dogs and after the last one passed away we got a cat. Thinking she would be easier because they are so independent and she is but I hate leaving her for even a day.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
About a week. Going to Italy with a several of our best friends. It’s funny we always had dogs and after the last one passed away we got a cat. Thinking she would be easier because they are so independent and she is but I hate leaving her for even a day.
Oh nice- have a wonderful trip and enjoy!

I know just what you mean ,I hate leaving mine to,even for a day. But kitties do sleep about 75% of the time so when we are not around they are usually just sleeping quietly so I think you have the best plan in place..... since she knows the cat sitter and likes her it'll be good if she could come a little before feeding time and give her some attention first,play a little and get some petting -she is an only child so surely she'll be missing you❤

cejhome

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Make sure you have the pet sitter text you once a day to let you know things are good. If they don't contact you and you can't get a response, have a back up with a key that can come check on your kitty (if possible). Things can happen, and if your pet sitter doesn't have a back up, you don't want your kitty to be all alone for a week, with no visits. I take care of a friend's kitties when they are on trips (I used to be a pet sitter a zillion years ago). I always text her 1 x per day, just to say things are fine. I have the contact information for several of her family members that can take over if something should happen to me. If the pet sitter has a back up, it shouldn't be a spouse. I remember one incident where someone's pet sitter and her husband were in a bad car accident. Thank goodness the pet owner knew something was up when they didn't check in with her. She was able to get a neighbor to come in and feed/clean litter boxes until she got home.

That goes both ways - notify the pet sitter when you are physically back in your home. Not on the way home or at the airport. Another story from way back then - someone called their pet sitter on the way home from the airport, then had a car accident on the way home. If the pet sitter hadn't pushed back and told them they needed to contact her again when they made it home, who knows how long before the kitties would have been checked on? You never know when a flight is delayed/cancelled either.