kittens died at 2 weeks old

cindy321

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As a small hobby breeder, I would love to ask some opinions from more experienced breeders here, what is the main reason for kitten death, esp at a later stage such as 2 weeks old?

Previously we may occasionally have kitten death, normally due to an inexperienced mum cat or kitten stuck in birth canal too long, thus the death normally happened in the first 2 days of the kitten's birth.

However, recently we had two cases of 2 weeks old kittens that died suddenly, both from experienced mums and both kittens looked perfect healthy the day before, I could not figure out the reason, would appreciate it if any more experienced breeders could shed some light please

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
What breed are your kittens? Are there any known conditions that are common in the breed?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
As I know, the most common cause healthy kittens dies quite suddenly; healthy in the morning and cold when you come home from work, is pneumonia...

Now, pneumonia is most easy to catch either at birth = fluid in lungs, or if handraised - again, fluid in lungs.

Kittens with good momma have seldom this problem.

I have heard about such cases. Not the common but apparently happens.